Tuesday, December 7, 2010

More Meaningful This Year

Flags at half-staff around the base and a moment of silence before class started.

MCPON's fleet picture of the day on Facebook was neat...

My day was rather odd and off kilter though. At the beginning I took a practice test that I didn't need to (my instructions were confusing) and so half my day was wasted and I got a little more behind... and then they told us the schedule was changing all day long, and it ended up being pretty much normal... and then we had a 2 hour "safety stand down" brief, pleading with us to not drink and drive, or be stupid in general. I thought it was ridiculous until they showed a chart at the end, indicating that the fatal accidents over holiday breaks the last six years have gone down from over 70 to around 30 last year. Thirty deaths! Holy Toledo! I know there are thousands of students that go home every year, but that seems a rather high number. I guess if it makes one crazy kid slow down or think before they do something stupid, it was worth it to sit through. The ice-cold wind, frozen fingers and slippery ice on the way there and back again were pretty memorable too. :)

Jp

1 comment:

Rodney said...

I've always been safety conscious and found military safety training informative. (Okay, it was often tedious as well. <g>) I think the most interesting thing I learned, because it was so obvious in hindsight, was a technique to find potential hazards for children: crawl around on your hands and knees. Then you see the world from the perspective of the child.