Saturday, September 18, 2010

One Day, Back & Gone, Two Days Alone With Mom

First day "back" (Thursday) I slept in a good bit (and I needed it!) and then took off on a drive with Meg to visit a couple on Camino Island that were interested in taking my horse (they changed their minds today). But we had a nice drive together... that and lunch at "Duck-In Burgers" :) Mom trimmed my hair when I got home, and I squeezed a shower in before she and I took off for a night at the Seattle Symphony. It was a tribute to the music of Paul McCartney, and sounded like fun. And it was! The words were a little hard to hear at times, and I'm unfamiliar with them, but the music as you all know is swell!

And Friday morning (yesterday), Mom and I went on a two-day trip out to the Washington peninsula... the very north-westernmost tip of it... to the Makah Indian Reservation. We saw the museum there when we arrived at 4pm. Fascinating! A mud slide had buried a 500+ year old Makah village and preserved countless artifacts that even led to the restoration of fishing rights for the locals. The museum had hand-carved canoes and lots of original pieces of tools, art, weaving and toys that told a rather thorough story of the people from Washington.

From there we drove out to the short hike that would take us out to the very tip of Washington at Cape Flatterey. The view was as fabulous as I've heard it was... and better than any picture could show. Although we saw lots of sun on the 4-hour drive over, the rain hit when we got to the trail. The trees covered us most of the way while we were hiking and we were able to see quite a bit when we got there, but when we left the rain and clouds had descended on us. We decided it wouldn't be worth much to get a motel in one of the tiny Indian towns, so we drove back to Port Angeles and arrived around 9pm. It was straight to bed for us both!

Today (Saturday) we took our time getting up and happened across a silly old movie on the Fox Movie Channel while we were packing up. Then we had an *outstanding* breakfast at the cafe next door... I had corned-beef hash, eggs with cheese and a small pancake. Mmm! Mom and I dawdled around Port Angeles, exploring and going back to that small research marine life center we went to last September! This year they had a Giant Pacific Octopus in the tank that used to have a Basket Sea Star. It was fun to look in again, and I got a couple more pictures. We had gone to the same "Crab House" restaurant for lunch on the way over, yesterday, so for lunch today, we went to the Mexican restaurant we had for dinner last year... :) and it was still good!

Sitting at the ferry terminal waiting for the ferry, Mom read the Bible and when we got on (since we had a good place to look outside) we stayed in the car and sang a couple hymns out of the hymnal. :) Overall, I'd say I'm having a good send-off.

And I am finally back from a whirl-wind, fun-filled, beautiful summer that I will never forget.

Jp

PS... Mom had a double feature from Netfilx at home, both with Claudette Colbert and Fred McMurray: tonight's surprise delight was "No Time for Love"... hilarious and fun, but the title didn't make much sense.

No comments: