Sunday, August 1, 2010

Torchlit!

I took it easy yesterday morning... but I was still wiped out by the end of the day :)

Quickie breakfast, and then I got my things out, getting ready for the parade. I spent quite a while scrubbing my brown shoes until they turned their original white again. Found out about yesterday's poster right before it was time to leave. Ate a quick sandwich (somehow I forgot lunch) and then flew out the door. The automated sign on 405 said the bridge was way backed up because of an "incident"... but thankfully I knew a shortcut and saved about a half-hour's time. The problem was a car fire on the other side (causing a colossal backup coming the other way) right as I was getting on the bridge. It was so backed up on the other side people were out of their cars, trying to find out what was going on. One guy was standing amongst the parked cars playing his banjo. :)

I had such a good time with the band again. My friend Natalie (from the Oklahoma trip and China trip) was there and we were able to catch up. She's graduated and working (and had just been with the band to Switzerland and France) and she was very excited for my joining the Navy. So we left the UW at 5pm and got to the Seattle Center (Space Needle) closer to 6. Us Mellophones ate at a Greek place in the center and then gathered with the rest of the band around 7. For a while we were standing right next to the Army Band, the Navy Band and the 1st Marine Division Band... I have to say, the Army looked slightly outclassed, dressed in their camo, as opposed to the maritime branches in dress uniforms. :)

We waited for the usual two-plus hours before we stepped off around 9pm. So fun to be back in it! The sun was setting, lighting up the Space Needle above our heads in a colorful light orange. The fans lining the streets looked like they were enjoying themselves... and I sure was! It's amazing how fast marching and playing comes back to you! I haven't done this parade in over two years! Here's a YouTube video of last year... I'm not there (I was in NC), but they're playing and dancing exactly like we did yesterday. Parade was over just about 10pm, and I was home at 11.

Today, I slept in til 10:30... had some eggs, watched a sermon online from my pastor that taught my Bible study (it was very good) and then Mom, Dad and I watched "I Was A Male War Bride" (1949) and I thought it was great! But then I needed a nap... and when I woke up we had dinner. It's been a good day today! Then I felt rested enough to work on picking and uploading the wedding pictures (I promised my brother I'd do it today) and I succeeded.

Whew! Time for bed! :)

Jp

No comments: