Monday, July 19, 2010

It's All Over.

A day for goodbyes.

I started today by going to sleep... a bit after midnight. Dad and I watched "The Book of Eli" (Denzel Washington, 2009) with Zac downstairs last night. Except for the violent dreams I had because of it (where people murdering other people seemed normal) I really loved watching it. Maybe next time I wouldn't watch it right before going to sleep. :) It was set after a worldwide war of destruction where there was no law and every ounce of food and drop of water was precious. I found it unlike most apocalyptic movies I've seen... there was a serious degree of reality to it. And the plot and ending were neither predictable or typical... there was no showdown between the good guy and the bad guy at the end, and the very real Christianity portrayed was not normal for Hollywood - Denzel must have done this because he wanted to. Except for the extreme violence (it wasn't too graphic - it was artfully done... if that's possible) I would love to watch this movie a couple more times.

Merely three hours after going to bed, I woke up with Mom & Dad to take Zac to the airport. I was very glad to interrupt my dreams, and like normal I was wide awake upon getting out of bed. It was very sad to see him go... we had such a good time together and he was able to see much of his friends. Got back home at 4am, and slept in til 10:30. And then everyone came over.

Had a bit of brunch: banana bread and strawberries and then after a little visiting (and a short jog with the dog) we were off for today's entertainment: a cruise on Lake Union (near the Space Needle) on an old-fashioned paddle boat named "Queen of Seattle". The tour guide was a lovely lady who acted as tour guide, pointing out interesting things we passed by, like the dry dock company that built & repaired ships during the war, the place the Boeing company first flew planes, historic Seattle sites like Gas Works Park and the houseboats. Speaking of that, we went rather close by the one "Sleepless in Seattle" was filmed at. I had never seen it before today, so that was neat! (suddenly I want to watch it again!) She also sang and danced in a little live cabaret show with a guy pounding out songs on an old-fashioned piano. Sing-along stuff like "Old Susanna", "And the Band Played On", "Clementine" and a couple others from the gold-rush days about sweethearts and such. It was very fun.

Grandpa and Grandma ordered pizza from Pizza Hut when we got home, and we all sat out on the deck and enjoyed some gorgeous evening sunshine with cool breezes (sorry everyone who's stuck in heat) along with some leftover wedding cake. And after a little bit more visiting in the living room it was time for everyone to leave. I helped my Aunt check in for their flights tomorrow, and there was one more round of goodbyes. I've had such a lovely time with them this weekend... so sad to see them go.

So suddenly the house was very quiet after such bustling activity for so long. My parents and I sat down and watched Netflix... "Pie in the Sky" (Thank you Linda! I loved the first 2 ep's! Very surprised to see young Mr. Foyle!). I always enjoy a good British mystery series.

Well, it's take a breather for the next two days, and then Mom and I are off down the coast to San Francisco and Yosemite for a little alone time. The days are FLYING by.

Jp

No comments: