Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Sun and the Rain

Just nine more working days until the Big Trip. :) I'm on a major countdown to it. And I've been fine-tuning the Plan. Used AAA Trip Tiks to help me out a little bit, mapping out gas stations and restaurants along the route. I don't know if I'll use it, since I'm going to try to use a lot of supermarkets, but why not have back-up, right? And I ironed out more of the last day in NY.

No sooner had I finished Facebook-updating about how happy I was that I didn't need a coat on Monday than the weather got colder. It was still very sunny on Tuesday, but by Wednesday afternoon it hailed, I hear. I was buried away downstairs at work and only noticed the lights flickering as I heard the fierce wind.

Tuesday evening all I did was print out pictures for Mom and a few for myself. Meg was still grading, so by the time I got home she started a second picture. I pretty much sat down and watched Sense & Sensibility with her. On Wed. night, we indulged in our next Netflix: "Little Miss Marker" (1980, Julie Andrews & Walter Matthau). It was set in the '30's and it was very funny.

Tonight after some yummy leftover corn-on-the-cob and baked potato, I arranged meetings with friends via Facebook and then went on a short 5-mile bike ride. I didn't want to go too far because tomorrow I'm doing the Navy workout. I almost missed out though, because it had just started to sprinkle when I walked outside through the garage. But then I thought, "why not?" and got a water-proof wind-breaker and went anyway. I knew I was in for a special ride when I pedaled into the park in Woodinville. The sun was shining straight ahead of me between the clouds. As the rain kept falling it was illuminated into a shower of falling, golden droplets. The family of geese I saw on Monday were there again, but it looked like they had more than a dozen children. There was hardly another person on the trail as I took off north to Bothell, and that meant the birds were out in force. They wove and dove and sang and chirped everywhere. As I stopped to watch the river otter I spotted, some little guy burst out into song, not four feet in front of my face! Lord, how I love the animals! I heard Red-winged Blackbirds and Robins and Sparrows and many others that I don't know. On the return trip through the Bothell Landing I looked up and saw a duck coming in for a landing almost right on top of me. And then of course, there were the bunnies. As I came back the clouds to the west had turned orange and yellow with the setting sun. Oh! How I will miss biking along the river! The rainbows were still there when I packed up my bike and came home. What an evening!

I haven't been to church these last two weeks, so while I picked up my room and cleaned all the junk off my desk I listened to the May 9th service online. It's starting to get into the shortcomings of the Corinthian church... and how the first thing Paul talks about is human wisdom verses God's wisdom... an interesting place to start. Anyway, I found it very nice to get back into thinking about the Lord.

It's time for bed now... and Yay! it's Friday! :)
Jp

No comments: