Saturday, May 29, 2010

A *Perfect* Day


I stayed up rather late last night after the game, posting and chatting with friends... into the wee hours of the morning. So later this morning (at 8:30) I woke up dreamily. The over two hour nap yesterday gave me the insurance sleep I needed. Had a lazy morning and a nice, little breakfast. It wasn't long before I got out of my pajamas and into what I was wearing for the play. :)

Mom and I drove to the convention center to park and then walked two blocks to the Paramount theater. We were there nice and early, so we had lots of time to climb all those stairs to the balcony. The only complaint I had the entire time was the scrunchy seats. There was hardly any leg room... but we made it okay.

The Paramount is very ornately decorated and has an impressively designed theater. Large mirrors, carved wood everywhere and large chandeliers. The curtain had a painted scene of hardwood trees, and soon it opened. I enjoyed the pace of the play much more than the feature film... Harvey Fierstein excelled at playing Tevye. He didn't copy Topol and made it very much his own performance. Often times he would use a long silence to accentuate the comedy. And they performed all the songs... and even did a dance with bottles on their heads during the wedding celebration in the first act. Mary did a wonderful job, as usual, and had many, many lines throughout the play that always brought a chorus of laughter from the audience. The entire thing was just so lovely; the time slipped by so fast.

And if I thought the play went fast, the half-hour that Mary so generously spent with us on the sidewalk by the stage door felt like three minutes instead of thirty. :) She was so very nice! We all exchanged hugs: myself, and then I introduced my Mom and then Meg and Jason, who had come by just to meet her. One of the first things out of her mouth was bewilderment at the lack of DVD's. She quickly asked me if I had any solution... and she was overjoyed when I let her know she could have a set so easily. She had just lately found the episodes on Google and shown "Eugenia Bremer, Master Spy" to a friend. We talked about the tour of Fiddler on the Roof for a while, but conversation always turned to the show. She confessed to preferring Victor in the Great Debate (before we showed any inclination of our own!) :) And we found out she has a friend her in Seattle who she is staying with and having a wonderful time. I'm so glad she has company here! Here are a few pictures: (Mom and her had a duel... LOL!)











Everything was so wonderful today! We went out to dinner immediately after we parted company (she was meeting a friend) and we had very good Vietnamese food at a bistro right on the corner across from the theater. Oh, so perfect!

Jp

No comments: