Sunday, February 14, 2010

Today

I slept in a bit, and had a great little breakfast of orange juice, a little dish of cottage cheese, a banana and some wheat toast with butter & jam. I'm feeling pretty good, because I've been dropping a little weight lately. I haven't been doing anything special; I've just been watching my portions in size and quantity.

And after that I listened to an online sermon from my church about God's refining fire, as spoken about in Malachi, the last book of the Old Testament, referring to Jesus. I've been terrible about getting to church, and some of that is just because I'm wrestling with the whole idea still... how important is it to go? I'm not exactly sure. But I know it is good to have corporate time with other Christians, so I think I will go to the 6pm service tonight.

I've had this on my mind recently: what is the difference between believing in God and actually being saved from sin? Many people would say that they are Christians... but how do you tell?

John 15:5 > "I am the vine, you are the branches. He that abides in me and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit; for without me you can do nothing." And verse 8 > "Herein is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit; so shall you be my disciples."

What is fruit? Galations 5:22-23> "Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance." Not in this passage, but also important (and mentioned in many places) is the fear of God, his power and greatness.

And James 1:22 > "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." And what does it say? It says the greatest commandments are to love God and your neighbor... How do you love God, who you cannot see? We love him by keeping his commandment to love each other. John 13:35 > "By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another."

What is this kind of love? It's not a feeling. Often times, I really don't like some people. Sometimes I don't even like myself. All hope of having perfect love would depend on how you're feeling that day... and that is madness. The sort of love he wants us to have is the kind that treats people with kindness all the time, even when you don't feel like it. It is an action that is decided upon, and with God's help it is possible. Defining "kindness" precisely is a little beyond me... but I think you know what I mean.

Salvation changes the way you think and speak and act. It is fashioning yourself after the Lord's character in order to please him. It's in trusting him that he is good and that he helps us and forgives us from sin if we turn from our sin and ask forgiveness.

It's a change that he requires, because he is holy. His holiness must punish sin because he is just. Why would anyone not want to share in his holiness that he offers through trust in Jesus? All I can say is that it's a life full of peace. Hope isn't lost if things go bad, or if someone is mean, because he is always there. And joy is full because he is good.

Jp

No comments: