Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Getting it Done

I think writing my last post helped me decide how I wanted to spend today. I'm feeling pretty relaxed and not fidgety yet. Mom and I finished the cookies tonight! I haven't wrapped all the presents yet, but that's okay! There's still one more day til Christmas!

And last night was wonderful! As I was checking my email when I was getting ready to leave work last night, there was one from a local aquarium who had checked out my website and loved it! Wheeee! There's nothing like a totally unexpected compliment to make a day feel great. This will definitely help motivate me to work on it this break... "wow, people actually do look at it!"... :)

Last night Mom and Dad cooked a wonderful steak dinner as well, and even though there was a little family friction about some stuff, we actually sat at the table after dinner and talked about it. I love it when we can calmly talk about things!

And after folks took a break from each other (we broke off and did different things - my parents and I watched a movie - The Man Who Came to Dinner) we all re-gathered at 11 or so and sang carols and did our advent ritual of picking ornaments for the felt wreath. I shocked everyone by picking the ballerina (hey! the Nutcracker was good!)

I think I might finally be giving up my other Christmas anxiety about not feeling excited enough for the big day. It's been a long process, but I think I've discovered a happy medium. Let myself feel what I want to. I used to think I should always have that kiddish glee, even when I got older. People always say that you should try and stay young... (in some ways :) But that doesn't mean you should force yourself.

HEY! I'm done with work until January 4th! Holy cow!

Jp

1 comment:

Linda said...

You can't recapture that feeling you had about Christmas when you were a kid. We were talking about that last night. That sort of feeling just isn't there anymore. Lots of things take its place, though: watching a friend or relative open a gift you bought them that they love, contributing to a charity, listening to "Silent Night" at church, curling up with a good Christmas book.