Saturday, December 12, 2009

All This Waiting is Driving Me Mad, Defense Attorney Benton

Waiting for my friend to get here from Florida this Friday, waiting for my brother to get here from Arizona the day after that, waiting for an idea to come to me about something I'm attempting to write, waiting for Christmas itself... waiting for tomorrow night... :)

And I had my own share of waiting around on Thursday night... some I didn't mind at all, and some that was... driving me mad. The way the tests were set up there were a couple hours for me to sit around and read! I read in the end of Deuteronomy for a while: about the blessings for following and cursing for disobeying God's law that he had just finalized with Israel. And then after reading something this week about death, I thought a bit about why God punishes sin so severely. Sin is really just rejecting God ways, as God is perfect. I suppose I wouldn't want sin to be let off if it is bad... I just have difficulty thinking of sin like God does: "abhorring" it. That's a rather stronger feeling than I've ever had about it (I'm a redeemed sinner). But I think I need to.

But after that bit of study that only lasted through the final itself (until 5), I then got out 'Bridge to Terabithia' and finished it, not without tears. What a good one! At that point (around 7), I had another 45 minutes to read in my Bluejacket's Manuel. It's a little dry at this point: all about tying knots and seamanship. I'm reading the whole thing so I am familiar with where to find things if I need it again.

I did enjoy not being a student though. All those students I watched over had to write three long essays about ethical philosophy, ending with "What is it to be moral?" Yikes! They were either writing for a solid hour, or switching writing and staring at the wall. :) And when I was reading in the lobby, I could see into the computer lab. Later on I noticed a young man with his head in his hands in front of a computer with a mostly blank-looking Word document open. Ouch.

Meg then came and picked me up and we went to get her 'other' at the UW. Unfortunately, he was in a meeting that went way over... by like another hour and some after we got there. That drove me to be a little mad, as it was Dad's birthday that day and we wanted to go have cake with him. But it ended up working out okay.

Friday (yesterday) was very low key. It was so mundane that I barely remember anything I did... well, I had breakfast, had a headache, picked up my room, watched "Don't Act Like That", and planned a huge trip to New England for sometime next year in order to see friends, all the little states I've never been to and most of the northern Revolutionary War sites. :) According to Google, it would be about 1,200 miles of driving in all, visiting 15-16 different sites. Ambitious? yes. Insane? I hope not.

Jp

3 comments:

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

What I wouldn't give to be on THAT trip! Dear, if you're going to Providence and New Bedford, you must, must, must take an afternoon for Newport. You don't need to do the rich touristy things or even tour a mansion (if you do, see the Breakers; it has the most comprehensive tour--you even see "backstairs")--just drive out to Brenton Point. Do it on a weekday when you don't have to fight the tourists for parking spaces. Take a picnic. If it's breezy, take a kite. It's a place I feel very close to God. (It does have a Revolutionary War connection: there's a statue of Rochambeau in Newport Harbor. There's also Fort Adams--it was planned before the Revolution--and is named after John Adams--and was operational through World War II.)

Linda said...

Oh, oh--and try not to miss the Vermont Country Store (there are two locations in southern Vermont)...you will feel like Betty Roberts at the general store in Elkhart.