Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Temporary Addition To The Family

This morning on a walk with the dog, I noticed a bird flapping around in our flower bed... and by the time we returned, it was still there, so I knew there was something wrong. Went and got my camera and took a couple pictures of it before trying to feed it and ending up just scaring the poor thing. It ran across the driveway and tripped all over itself. The right wing was hanging limp.

So I tried giving it some food (I couldn't quite tell that it was a juvenile robin), but it just sat still. I was pretty worried that some cat would just kill it, so Jason and Mom and I went out and caught it carefully with a hand towel while Meg cleaned out her poor little hamster's cage. It was pretty wild at first, so we put a towel over the cage it to make it understand that it was safe. Jason went out and got earthworms from our compost, and we put in a little water dish. I really hope the wing can heal.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Awww, how cute! Is there someone from Fish and Wildlife or someone you can call about it?