Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Modern Whaling Story

All of a sudden, my friend that went with me on the Aquarium Adventure to Oregon in March, invited me to go whale watching out on the Puget Sound today. Now yesterday was pelting rain for most of the daylight hours, but all of a sudden, today was perfect skies and calm out on the Sound! A perfect day for a boat ride!

I woke up a little late, but made it out the door and to her house in Bothell fast enough (say, 15 minutes), lol, and we absolutely cruised up I-5 all the way to Anacortes, WA, where we sailed with Island Adventure Tours... and ended up going out 100 miles into the Straight of Juan de Fuca (between Port Angeles and Victoria, BC) where we feasted our eyes on a real, live cousin of George and Gracie. :) Yes, a Humpback whale! It dove at least three times while we were watching from a respectful distance and showed us his tail! The last time he came up before we had to head for shore, he rose not even 40 yds from the boat! So cool! And on the way out to this spot, we saw a Steller sea lion feeding on fish, two bald eagles, several harbor seals and a pair of harbor porpoises along with hundreds of sea birds...

...all I can say is I have a lot of picture processing to do... tomorrow... that, and I didn't need a life jacket (because there were railings all around the boat up to my waist :)

On the way home, we went to my friend's church in Ballard (north Seattle), where the pastor taught about God's attributes using Mary's song in the first part of Luke. Very nice indeed! I really like that church.

Unfortunately, it's 11 pm, it's 11 pm, it's barely enough time to sleep before 5 am... and I think I'm still swaying from the rocking of the boat... or is that... go to sleep, go to sleep... zzzzz

Night, night.

Jp

No comments: