Friday, September 25, 2009

Up and Down

Yesterday went pretty swiftly, really. Before I knew it, it was time to leave. I listened to the President's speech (which was impressive - but I don't know if I really believe him about staying out of war...), the French premiere's speech and the last couple innings of the baseball game. I was shocked how fast they changed sides during an inning!

Even though I ate dinner pretty quickly, it was already dusk when I went out for a bike ride. I biked 3 miles south on the Sammamish River Trail with the sunlight fading fast over the western ridge. The moon was nearly nearly half-full to my right, close and big; and Jupiter was right in front of me, already bright in the twilight. I had a flashlight with me in case I needed it on the way back, but I did fine without it. It took me a half-hour round-trip, and by the time I got back to my car (at 8 o'clock) it was pretty darned dark. It was a refreshing ride. When I got home, Mom and I talked for a long while, partly because we were the only ones home. And it was very nice.

This morning... I woke up pretty early, oddly enough. I had a recurring dream about being in a class and completely forgetting assignments. I suppose I'm excited for the ASVAB (armed services vocational aptitude battery), which is, again, pretty odd.

But right when I was getting ready to head out the door from work, Zac called. He was on his way to his new station in "the fleet" in Arizona. Mom said he was pretty shaken up, as he had just found out that one of his buddies from Boy Scouts, who would come over for playing computer games and such and who was newly married, was just killed by an IED in Afghanistan... I just told Dad a minute ago. The casualties aren't just numbers anymore.

So, right after work, I'm going to go take that test. And then... I don't know.

Jp

No comments: