Saturday, September 19, 2009

As For Today

I had a bit of a struggle sleeping in today, because of my dreams and because I went to bed so early. But the latter was actually pleasant! It was pretty cloudy in the morning with a light, steady rain falling. I felt satisfaction at not having to be at the football game, which I found out later on, would have been pretty darn fun, in it's own right.

But today I decided to help Habitat for Humanity with a promotion they had going on: their first ever "build-a-thon", where they had three sites building the same weekend. I picked the closest one, in Issaquah (east of Bellevue). The forms for the foundation were setting on the site when we got there. They fed us a boxed sandwich lunch, and I was pleased to meet some very nice people from Americorps who were leading all the jobs at the site. I was surprised that we were only going to be doing site "prep" work... such as spreading hay to prevent erosion and wrapping a screen around the chain-link to make it look better (the site was right across the street from occupied homes). I got on the team of people that were filling sand bags. It was pretty tough work, compared to what I'm used to, but it was fun.

When I got back home around 4:45, I learned that the Huskies had knocked off 3rd-ranked USC! What?!!!! Yeah, I was pretty surprised and very pleased. Since I was pretty hungry from the workout I'd had, and The Olive Garden was doing those "bottomless pasta" deals... I took myself out, and although they were crowded out the door with people waiting, I got a seat at the bar right away. Had two of their new sauces on fettuccine: a marinara with portobello mushrooms, and an alfredo with spinach. Very good, indeed.

Durrrring chat, we watched an episode of WENN, an episode of Monk, and much later, a rather badly done movie that was supposed to be an amazing love story, that fell smack on its face. No real character development coupled with atrocious history-telling. Why on earth did so many people like this? Oh well. To each, his own.

Jp

No comments: