Monday, July 27, 2009

Sunday's Adventure

I slept in to a whopping 8:30! I had intended to leave by then, but when on vacation, who cares? Skipped breakfast again, but I did get on the freeway in the right direction. My destination this day was rather silly... but it was loads of fun! I went to Legoland... :) but not for too long. They have hour-long shopper's passes for people who don't want to fork over $65... which is a really good thing. I was interested in poking around in the stores (I was a big Lego Knights fan when I was a kid - so buying a set at Legoland was cool) and checking out MiniLand USA... where they have built Washington DC, New York, San Francisco, New Orleans and Las Vegas... all a little smaller than the originals, of course. And for buying something, they refunded the price of parking.

Legoland was only 45 minutes away from San Diego, so the trip back was much shorter! Drove straight back to University Ave., just north of Balboa Park. I stopped at a Mexican place that I saw on Friday night as I went to Baja Betty's. I had a veggie dish called "Guaco Tacos", a couple corn tacos stuffed with avocado along with sides of the usual rice and beans. Also nearby was a thrift shop, so I peeked in for a moment and found a couple books for my sister and a magazine for myself.


With my last hour before it was time to drop off the car, I went to Balboa Park and visited the San Diego Air & Space Museum. And it was open! :) It was also very well laid out! They really crammed those planes in there! What was special though, was the actual pod from Apollo 9 they had on load from the Smithsonian. Wow! I wanted really badly to touch it, but they anticipated me and had all sorts of signs forbidding it.

I raced back to my car after finishing (and finding a patch in the store! yay!) because it was already a quarter till three, and I still had to find a gas station before returning the car to avoid a $7+ a gallon charge if I didn't. My flight was scheduled to take off at five. Everything ended up working out alright, but I was worried for a moment there when I was still trying to find one at ten till.

No problems returning it, and a stroke of luck when finally checking in: my backpack was a little too cumbersome, so I wanted to check it. Thankfully they didn't charge me the fee for it because I had bought my ticket before they instituted the fees. And they had free wi-fi at the airport! I finished a bit of Saturday's post before boarding.


The flight was uneventful in general, but I did see a forest fire from the air over California (pictured above). This flight I had a layover in Portland, so I ate a bit of dinner there and got back home around 11. My sister and mom were waiting for me (I didn't even have to call after I got my phone back from my checked bag... lol).

And I'm back...
Jp

No comments: