Friday, May 29, 2009

Ending Thoughts, Part Three

Well, now! I have finished class work for photography. After nearly eight months straight of it, I guess I'm ready to move on. Way back in October, I remember being completely ignorant about all things technical... aperture what? Shutter speed? Huh? And then the crash course in Photoshop beginning in January... Adjustment layers? Layer masks? Help!

The teachers have been absolutely fabulous! Certainly, I was blessed to take this from them. Carla and David: Thank you!

I feel much more able to continue my learning at this point... my horizons have been expanded far beyond what I imagined before. Making art? Selling art? What on earth?!

Over the course of these classes we've covered the history and beginnings, we watched and listened to great artists, and this quarter we met some of them...

Last night a successful Seattle gallery owner, who has been friends with the teacher for quite some time, came in to critique our work. I didn't know what to expect, but in the beginning she went around the room and asked us what we photograph, how long we've been doing it and where we're going. I felt quite at ease talking about myself, contrasted to other times I've done the same thing this quarter. She is very smart, but listened and cared about what people said. In critiquing my work, she thought my pictures were more about color and shape than anything else. She was very kind.

Where to from here?

Jp

No comments: