Friday, April 10, 2009

Minor Happenings

Our beautiful weather only lasted until Tuesday afternoon, when the sun was again enveloped in clouds... only to be interrupted briefly, yesterday evening, before being further blanketed by thick clouds this morning. But that break was pure heaven... I was walking to class from the north parking lot under a canopy of green trees near the dorm that my friends stayed at, back when we were in school. Lots of memories... mixed feelings. But the weather was great!

I found something important to me on eBay yesterday: an old Carnegie Allosaurus model from 1988 that isn't available anymore. My favorite toy store, Tree Top Toys in Redmond, has a display model that I've asked them about maybe 5 times, but they always say they'll have someone call. My goodness! It had to come from England! That pretty much rounds out my collection now!

Class on Tuesday didn't fry my brain! It was all about the different ways to make selections on a photograph, and I understood everything! Class on Thursday was amazing! We had Jock Sturges as a guest lecturer. I didn't know how I would react, as his work is mostly of nudes, but I didn't think too much about it. He showed a slide show of his work and talked about the stories of the models. It was very touching and tasteful, and not at all sexual... in fact, I enjoyed it! It's difficult to describe. The success of the images is not about the nudity, it's about the innocence... if that makes any sense. It's the relationships with, and love that he had for the families he was photographing. I was enchanted with his quiet, open and honest manner. He truly cares about people. I really thought about our culture as it relates to nudity, and I'm interested. I don't plan on changing my own culture, but it's interesting to think about. And I thought I was learning photography!

Here's to living and learning!
Jp

1 comment:

SoponS said...

Great post. I enjoyed reading it. :-) Seriouly though, the sun needs to come back...I want some sun right now!