Monday, December 1, 2008

Yikes!

An interesting quiz - thanks Linda! The figures that this organization came up with are very frightening. They found that incoming freshmen know just about as much about American history and civics as outgoing seniors in American universities and that incoming freshmen only scored roughly 50% on the quiz. I just found out that a friend here at work (only 2 years younger than myself) wasn't required to learn any general US history in high school at all! I think the problem may lie in secondary education, not only in higher education, as the researchers conclude. And then the politicians... I won't even go there.

I'm feeling a little flabbergasted.

Jp

1 comment:

Linda said...

> a friend here at work (only 2 years
> younger than myself) wasn't
> required to learn any general US
> history in high school at all

Sayyyyy what??? I had US history in eighth grade and again in eleventh, not to mention world history in ninth and tenth grades and government and economics in twelfth grade. What the heck do they do during the school day? Play video games and sports?