Monday, September 8, 2008

Football and Movies

That sums up Saturday and Sunday, respectively.

The Husky game against BYU was a joke at the end: the referee flagged our QB for celebrating in the end zone after scoring the touchdown with TWO SECONDS LEFT IN THE GAME, that brought us within one point of tying the game. WHAT?!!!! All he did was drop the ball and jump around with his friends. So, that put us out of reach of the 2-pointer to win, and then BYU came up and blocked the extra point kick. Ugg.

I'm okay now, I promise.

It was very much fun to march the pregame, and the halftime show went off well, except for the fact that the guest drummers thought it was cool to throw minuscule confetti the size of glitter all over the field. The band pretty much got blamed, and after the game we spent a lot of time trying to pick some of it up with our fingers... didn't work so well.

Even after all this jazz, I still love marching band, and half of me is sad right now that I'm not at the before-school, week-long band camp that's going on right now. It's affectionately named "Preschool Drills". But the other half of me is glad that I don't have to do Vict'ry down the field at 1,000 beats a second any more.

And Sunday was excellent fun! Becky came over after church. We had Subway at home, watched episodes 12 & 13 of Remember WENN (I hope she doesn't mind all of our discussions during it - Meggan thinks that Scott was just about to leave the station between his "it's sorta out of my hands now" and his hearing the fateful broadcast from London - so maybe the Germans saved Scott Sherwood! I kinda agree with her). We then watched the Shaggy D.A., with Dean Jones (this was my first time through as an adult - which is always surprising! It makes it much more fun when you understand everything the adults say...), then we went for a walk in the beautiful afternoon sunshine, and then we came back and played Yahtzee and finished by watching Pollyanna. I'm introducing these movies to Becky, and I'm extremely thankful to her, because if she had seen them, we probably wouldn't be watching them again! And we have lots more to go! Weeeee!

There is something special about older, live action Disney movies.
Particularly the ones from the 1960's.
:)

Jp

1 comment:

Linda said...

Yes, there is something special about these live action-Disney films from the 60s, even if everyone derides them as being "corny" and "sentimental." Frankly, I'd rather see both than a bunch of "hey, look at me" SFX with no script behind it or something that's written just to pass around stupid jokes or to shock. Everyone's criticism of Pollyanna is "it's too long, but I love the parts they always say should be trimmed, just that lovingly sketched turn-of-the-century Americana. Was it not quite that perfect? Sure, we know that (or anyone who's educated knows that, anyway), but who wants to watch it? We aren't watching POLLYANNA to see a treatise.

If you want to see something that's a throwback to those Disney films, go see Kit Kittredge. I was surprised and delighted--and, at last, a film about kids that didn't involve jokes about urinating or flatulence! I was so disappointed in Charlotte's Web because they had it nearly perfect (especially the look) and then had to stick stupid jokes in it. CW is a good story on its own.