Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Westport

I took a short one-night trip with the fam on Saturday to Westpost, half-way down the Washington coast. We left in the morning, around 10 am (nice, little, desperately needed sleep in) and arrived around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. We took Spiffy with us, and he spent most of the ride on the back seat, sitting up and looking around. Meggan and I played Phase 10 while Dad and Mom rode up front.

Dad was making the trip in order to fish on Sunday morning, but the weather on Sunday was forecast to include gale-force winds and driving rain, along with swift currents - too swift for bottom fishing. So all the charters were cancelled. Meggan, Mom and I were there to sit on the beach. Both Saturday and Sunday.

So after some time in the hotel room, reading in the Andrew W. Mellon biography (I started working on it!) and writing down notes, while Meggan just read... my parents returned from the docks with the weather news. Dad then took Spiffy for a walk on the docks as Mom relaxed and Meggan and I returned to our relaxing studies. :) (they are!) What's hard is not having any time for them at home!

That evening, around 4:30 or 5, Dad returned, with a whole tuna, freshly filleted. He had ran into a returning fisherman and bought one off him at an extremely good price. After loading it in the cooler we had brought with, we went out to dinner. There's this cafe place that we ate at last year, that has the best clam chowder I've ever had. That's where we went. While we were waiting for our order, Dad took me across the street to the place where he got his tuna. There were still more that the guys were working on. Tunas have dorsal fins almost as long as their bodies! And their thick sides narrowing down to a tiny tail is just amazing!

Anyway, we went in the front store as well, and there I found a cup of crab cocktail, ready to be eaten. I got some of that and it supplemented our dinner extraordinarily.

After we finished - I had a BLT along with clam chowder - we drove to the beach in time to see a brilliant sun hanging low in the sky! It was very beautiful. Mom stayed up on the bank above the beach and the rest of us both stayed with her, and went for walks out on the beach below. Spiffy got pretty tired on all those walks. Out on the beach, there were literally hundreds of sand dollars - almost as many as there were stones. Needless to say, it was a lovely, relaxing time together.

Back at the hotel, after stopping for some ice creme sandwiches, we watched an episode of season 2 Mission: Impossible on Meggan's laptop. And then Meggan and I stayed up a little more working on our various projects. She, writing her dissertation on truth in fiction (Philosophy from the U of Miami); me writing WENN history. LOL! Meggan suggested to me that I find some build-your-degree program somewhere to get some sort of credit for this project. Focusing, of course, on the history of American culture in the early '40's based off of the various episodes of Remember WENN. I'm not sure if that's entirely possible, but Meggan reminded me that many philosophers have done their works on Star Trek, with relative success.

We slept in again, and found, when we awoke, a torrential downpour. So it would be pretty horrible to try and sit on the beach, unless we wanted to try swim-walking. We went to our favorite breakfast place, an old-home-style cooking cafe called "Barbara's By the Sea". And you can see Barbara, herself, cooking in the kitchen. The wait is a little longer than normal, but your food is "just like mother used to make", without a doubt. My cheese and sausage omelet with hashbrowns and toast was savory. Mmmm.

We didn't have anything to do there after breakfast, because of the rain, so we were forced to leave for home a little early. On the way home, I picked up writing my next fanfiction, and did that pretty much the whole way home, with a break for one game of Phase 10.

Back to normal... until next weekend, when I go to Eugene, OR, for a silly football game. I'm really going just to hang with my friends, play the Husky songs again on my mellophone, and march an abbreviated field show.

Who cares about football.... :)

Jp

No comments: