Friday, August 22, 2008

Oh, This Week...

I didn't sleep enough after returning from China. After my 30 hour Thursday, I went riding with Meggan on Friday and had a great time. Roo was much better at behaving, but I nearly fell asleep on the way back in the car (Meg was driving).

Then on Saturday, I went to a medieval fair in Carnation, WA, with my other sister, Andrea. It was the first one I had been to, and I found it quite entertaining, although it was relatively small. There were sword demonstrations and archery shooting, and a full length play performed by the medieval people - they did 'Sir Ywain and the Well', which I had just read last summer in Howard Pyle's 'Story of Sir Lancelot and His Companions'. I started coming down with something that afternoon, but that night, I had a long, lovely chat with my WENN friends anyway.

And then my very good friend from my first year of Husky Band, had a wedding shower Sunday afternoon, after church. It was a wonderful time, but I started to seriously lose my voice.

Monday at work, I had 30,000 things to talk about (being just returned from China), but no voice to do it with. I tried saving what I had left, because that evening, I took that same friend that's getting married (today) out to dinner at the Olive Garden, because it was the last chance I had to see her for a couple years - she's moving to Australia. Thank the Lord, we were given a booth in a quieter part of the restaurant, and my voice made it through.

Tuesday, my nose ran like a river; but us ladies from the data center at work, all went out to lunch to celebrate my boss's birthday, belatedly. Even though I had to bring Kleenex, I enjoyed it very much.

Wednesday, the river slowed down to a trickle and I started to cough. I also had a doctor's appointment for my annual checkup, one that I haven't had since community college. Ooh, what timing! And at the appointment, my nurse practitioner tried removing a lot of wax from my left ear, but it got stuck... in a way that makes it hurt at times. So mom put ear drops in it when I went to bed, to keep working on it. Before bed, though, I found some of the WENN people I know from WENNlist and IRC on Facebook, some already in my WENN facebook group, which is now exploding with activity! Gosh, I love the Internet! It brings us all together!

Thursday morning, 1 am, I woke up coughing so hard I could barely breathe. It even woke up mom, and she came in with syrup and pills and water to save me. 2 am, I woke up hacking again, but not quite as violently. Decided to go, sleep in the living room chair, to allow the stuff to drain down my throat without drowning me. 6 am, woke up for work and seriously considered not going, but I went anyway. And my left ear is still plugged. So I survived the day, and stayed up way too late again, writing my journal and then reading some of Linda's fanfiction (guilty smile). I know I should have gone straight to sleep... but I wanted to read...

If there's one thing I (should have) learned this week, it's that sleep is not overrated. I just keep pretending that I don't need any because I want to get things done - like my journal - and I can't stand saying no to hanging out with the people I care about - yeah, and I'm stupid.

LOL!
Jp

No comments: