Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Stormy Night

Sunday night, I finally decided to get off the barge, even though I had to work early the next morning. It had been a long duty weekend, and this was my first time leaving since... the last time I posted (Wednesday).

Thought I'd work out on base, so I took the evening shuttle bus. Since I had been working all day, I forgot that it was Sunday, and that the gym would be closed. So I did some running... and I went straight to the Internet Cafe at the community center. Paid my bills finally... and was able to enjoy the full version of Facebook. I know that sounds silly, but when a person is limited to an app on their phone, seeing it on a full screen is so much better.

But what really knocked me out was the massive thunderstorm going off in the distance. All I saw was the towering black cloud (the sun had gone down) and flashes of lighting every 1 to 3 seconds. Every minute or so a bolt would either trace horizontally across the cloud, or fan out in fingers of bolts.

I also enjoyed looking at and petting the little toads I saw on the sidewalk between the gym and the center... it was a fun little evening. And on the way home on the bus, I finished Busman's Honeymoon (Lord Peter Wimsey story by Sayers). My friend Julie commented on my FB status... so back on the barge I gave her a late-night phone call and we talked for a whole hour about everything. So fun!

Other than that I've been pretty boring... (while relaxing!) and have been reading The Hobbit in the cute little pocket-size, hardback (with original dust jacket and artwork) copy that I found at The BookMark the last weekend I had off. And I love it! Also been watching movies... finished watching A Night to Remember (1943 screwball murder mystery!), looked at Public Enemies (2009, Johnny Depp - about John Dillinger), and last night I watched Hogan's Heroes and then the last half of Gettysburg (1993).

Tonight I escaped the barge to the St John Town Center Mall when one of the officers from the ship who I've ran into a couple times in B&N, asked me if I'd like a ride. Much better than waiting a half-hour (or more) for the duty van. I didn't have dinner on the barge... my nap went a little later than expected, and I was working hard washing dishes all the way through the meal, so it just sorta got skipped. So I enjoyed some tortellini alfredo for the first time at Panera... along with a decaff and some chicken noodle soup. :)

Jw

No comments: