Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Tribute to Northern Florida

As we leave tomorrow, I feel it only fitting to reflect on the numerous fun times I've had down here.

First weekend to Saint Augustine to see the Fountain of Youth (1513), the lighthouse (1874), Castillo de San Marcos National Monument (1695), and finally, the Fort Mose Historic State Park (1738). Also rode the ferry for the first of several times and really enjoyed seeing the pelicans.

Next weekend off too! Labor Day weekend: Finished Black Beauty, dinner with my fellow FSAs, stayed at the Hilton, went to B&N and made the first of several purchases, first sushi with Cassie, horseback riding on the beach, saw Fort Clinch (1864), got a bike, went swimming at Jax Beach, went to the movies. That Monday I got the bike tire fixed and stumbled across a great seafood restaurant and local bookstore that I returned to several times.

Then I had a weekend in Winston-Salem and Charleston for my first anniversary. (NC & SC)

Later on: saw the Jacksonville Zoo, the Cummer Art Museum, the Symphony. Then I went to a wonderfully normal small church, and then saw my first professional football game.

Another random night on base: Internet cafe, reading, movies... then another night at Town Center Mall.

Another long weekend! Hotel, baseball, great restaurants, another Symphony concert, another hotel, the MOSH, the toy soldier store, the antique store, another motel, Fort Matanzas National Monument, swimming with a dolphin at Marineland, one more time at the church, a fine lunch with a couple from my row.

Near the end: Mary Poppins, a great hotel, another trip to the post office, again to town center for Panera and movies.

Then a couple days here and there. And one last one.

Who says Mayport gets old in a week? Those who don't get out and enjoy it!

No comments: