Saturday, October 8, 2011

Another Stunning Weekend

Friday afternoon I did an hour at the library, again with graphic novels, audio books, and odd-size video recordings... basically the stuff that gets backed up for reshelving every now and then. That was from 4:30 to 5:30, when they close. I kept going on Nimitz to the 8, where I got off at Mission Valley Mall for dinner at Chipotle (which I had thought about the night before when I decided on chicken soup at Noodles & Co. instead), and then a showing of "Dolphin Tale" at the AMC theater. The show didn't start til 7:20, so I looked around in the nearby Sports Chalet. Always enjoy sports stores... looked at the fishing stuff, bought a blue, keyring size Swiss Army Knife and a folding camping stool that only weighs 16 oz.! And then I saw the movie. Almost died of horror when watching the trailers... cough... another Sandler film... and then greatly enjoyed the feature. Although there were some sappy parts, on the whole it was very fun... especially watching the kid swim with the dolphin. I was even slightly envious, even now as an adult. :)

Saturday morning I took it very easy. Read a bit of Hebrews while I was still in bed, and ate some of my frosted mini-wheats for breakfast. Turned on the Sooners game and transferred my petty officer crows from the blouse with the holes to the new one with my new name. And I was shocked to find that it was shaping up to be a slaughter... final score, Sooners 55, Longhorns 17. Also had the laundry going, washing my comforter and all... so I was in and out during the second half.

This was all done around 1:30 or 2ish, and from there I headed out to the Cabrillo National Monument for a run on a trail I hadn't been on before. On the way I stopped at the NEX to get a crow for my other cover. The sky was extraordinarily clear, making it able to see even the distant mountains distinctly, and the fresh breeze made it even nicer. It was a mile-and-a-quarter trail; I was worn out as I tried running back up it, and did that in spurts, walking sometimes. On the way back to base, at the bottom of Canon street, I decided to try out a local deli called "Charlie's Best Bread". I envisioned a little black dog running the place, but that turned out not to be so. Had a lovely BLT with turkey, Gorgonzola cheese and avocado... mmm! Then I thought it'd be good to stock up on food items in my room. Stopped in at the shop across from the deli, then went up the hill to Stump's Market (across from the library) and picked out some treats and old regulars.

After putting everything away in my room, I headed out to my car again. But this time, I just got my bike out of the back, pumped up the tires and started out. As I stopped by the dock to take a picture with my phone, Julie called! We talked for about a half-hour as the sun was starting to set behind me... lots of gorgeous orange light everywhere. I'm glad I was a little delayed! I had lots of nice photo opportunities along the way with the light the way it was. Rode to downtown and back, returning at 6:50. Nearly ran over a rat when it scurried across the path in front of me... but that was the extent of the wildlife I saw. :) Had wanted to get on chat faster, but that's the way it goes. Changed into pants from my athletic shorts and drove over to Jack-in-the-Box and McDonalds for a very cheap dinner and fast, free wi-fi. Glad I stopped by, as Linda and Rodney both had to leave early. Uploaded my phone pics to FB after they left, and also listened to Mike's songs of the week. Returned back to base, parking alongside the waterfront for another fab talk with my Darling as Jupiter rested over the shining city across the calm bay. :) What a day!

Jw

No comments: