Monday, January 25, 2010

Over the Weekend and Through the Woods...

Except I live at Grandmother's house (from my niece and nephew's perspective).

Saturday was weird. I woke up about 7, and immediately tried to get the tickets for this weekend coming up, as that's what I had thought about as I went to sleep. It scared me pretty bad, actually, because I couldn't get any... and the ticket office didn't open til noon. Meg and I have plane tickets to go to San Diego this Friday afternoon... it's to see Ms. Naughton in another '40's era play (Lost in Yonkers). We're hopefully going to be seeing my brother as well, so it should be a great time. So, needless to say, I was worried! But I had to wait until I could talk to someone after noon.

So I went to Jazzercise for the first time in a few months, and I felt a bit sore the rest of the day. (Sunday was worse! :) I haven't been going in the mornings because I'm always too tired. I almost did do it on Wednesday last week, but I didn't want a barrage of questions as to why I've been a lazy bum for 3 months. Early morning classes only have about 10-20 people, so the teacher would notice if I came back. And there really isn't enough time to do it and get to work on time; it made it that much harder to get motivated. So I decided to compromise. I'm planning on going on Saturday mornings (8:30am) and Thursday nights (5:30), since that's a night when my parents are busy and I wouldn't be missed at dinner.

When I got back home it was only 10am, so I had breakfast with Mom and then finished reading the Bluejacket's Manuel. Can't believe I made it all the way through in less than a year! Wow... all 600 pages of it. There were a couple slow spots, but generally speaking, I was very interested. I am pretty excited for this change.

So noon-thirty rolled around and I was able to secure a couple tickets to Friday's performance. Whew! I really didn't feel like doing anything the rest of the day... I was tired and beginning to get sore from jumping around that morning. I watched "Persuasion" (1995) live on Netflix. It started slow, but I didn't mind. And the ending was really lovely. And then it was time to chat... and I really liked that. Meg stayed up late with me, baking cakes. :)

I slept in, Sunday morning; didn't get up til 11 or so. Everyone started gathering after a bit and then we sat down to some lunch. We then had cake right away, and then began a very long show in the living room: film slides on my parents projector... pictures from when they got married in 1977 up until 1988... right after my little brother was born. It was then that my Dad got a camcorder and all our family pictures went into motion. It was a lovely way to celebrate Mom's birthday. Many of those I don't remember seeing... and it was a lot of fun to see my parents when they were about my age right now. It helps you see things in a new light. Also mixed in there were many shots from trips to Tuscarora in north Minnesota. I think my parents went there every year ever since they got married up until my grandparents moved in 1994... so 17 years. I was only around for 11 of them. We'd spend up to a month there every fall. What an experience we had! We, as kids, took all that hiking, boating, canoeing, fishing and camping for granted. Wow, how blessed we have been.

Gee, that show lasted about 6 hours... we went through 3 boxes with 6 reels in each one. So much fun. Soon after that everyone went their separate ways, so Mom and Dad and I took in 'The Awful Truth' (1937). Mom and I were L'ingOL all the way through, and Mom doesn't LOL at movies very often. It was very, very funny. Such fun.

Jp

No comments: