Tuesday, January 5, 2010

On the Go

Ooh, is today fun! My friend Julie and I took off from her place a little after nine this morning. I was a few minutes late, but it ended up not mattering... the ferry took off at ten after ten, and there's no rushing the ferry!

Last night I dreamed all about going on a trip somewhere and forgetting to bring anything at all beyond my camera and a pair of socks. I woke up, thank goodness, and got ready rather quickly, doing everything in the last minute.

It was a lovely drive from Kingston to Forks... about 3 hours. There were towering firs with thick, brilliant green moss and low-lying clouds and a greenish-blue lake. We saw two bald eagles in trees right next to the road as we passed by the lake. One was right next to a turn out, so we stopped and took pictures of him. Golly, he was majestic. [click on the picture to see him up close.]

We got to town right around 1 o'clock and after checking in at the motel (which is very cozy, as they claim) and eating our snacks, we headed out to La Push on the coast to walk on the beach. It was misting while we were out, but it was great to smell the sea and look at the huge waves crashing and pick up interesting beach stuff. Julie found a dead purple starfish that was very neat... but also very smelly. :) We walked up and down the beach and pretty soon we were covered with salty spray and misty rain. And we saw another bald eagle, in flight this time! A bit more back up the road, we stopped at a trailhead for "Second Beach". The trail was so muddy! I held on to the legs of my pants to help them not get soaked. When we got to the beach, the tide was very high, so the only thing to walk on was the stacks of very slick logs strewn about. I only slipped once or twice... but not detrimentally.

What fun! What a day! We then returned to town, stopped by the grocery store, crashed for a second in our room and then went out to eat at a nearby pizza place. We had Italian sausage with mushrooms and the nicest, thickest mozzarella cheese I've ever had. And right now we're taking a break and relaxing before we do more relaxing by watching Libeled Lady again! Yay!

Oh, what fun!
Jp

[ps... not only did we watch Libeled Lady... but I also brought along Double Wedding... at the risk of being redundant, we watched that too! I don't think I've ever seen such slapstick before... lol]

No comments: