Tuesday, July 29, 2008

TV and Band... Don't mix.

I just re-watched the last Monk episode because I missed the first 1o minutes on Friday night. The rehearsal went until 9pm of all times! Oh, well, at least I saw most of it. I came in when they met the guy at the airport.

This episode felt different to me, and in a good way. The story didn't center around one of Monk's odd quirks, and didn't even rely on comedy to make the show good. The scene that was meant to be funny - the one in the funeral home - didn't sound funny at all, but only rather awkward, IMO.

It was just a serious attempt to solve a mystery, with a little comedy agmenting it, but not defining it - something that's not very common in the series, as far as I can recall. Monk was shown to be weak, and in a way that was completely separate from his OCD. He couldn't let go of an impossible case, one that was impossible, even for him, until his genius opponent made a mistake. And he actually broke the law... ouch! That's different for Monk! Except for the one with the Naked Man... he broke the law in that one too, but that was quite different; it was because of his OCD.

I adored the scene with the Captain in the questioning room. I loved the cinematography, I loved the blocking and especially the dialogue; it was well written and performed.

The first 10 minutes are rather important, actually, for understanding why he cared so much about the lady. My gosh.

And then, on Sunday night, I forgot about watching Foyle's War because everyone had just come home from trips that weekend and I was beat from the evening's performance for the high school moms and dads.

Maybe Monk will still be on when I get back from China. That would be awesome! At least the family is going to tape the 2 I will miss.

Jp

3 comments:

Linda said...

Jen, I don't know if you have been watching Monk from Day 1, but the first couple of seasons were more serious. There was always the funny OCD scene, but the older episodes concentrated more on the mysteries and the obstacles Monk had to overcome to solve the mystery because of his OCD. There's a scene in the pilot movie where Monk lets a suspect get away because he is too afraid to climb a ladder. He knows it and you can see the anguish in his face. The big indicator of the direction that the series turned was when Monk started being nominated for Emmy awards--in the Best Comedy Series category. There were always funny moments in the early episodes, but this was not originally a "comedy" series.

VanillaRose said...

Haha, if I may speak for Jen, she has all the seasons that are out on DVD. :)

niferjen said...

I think I started watching halfway through season 1 - Mr. Monk takes a vacation was my first episode - but I didn't realize that it wasn't trying to technically be a comedy. I always thought that was the only agenda... I really like the serious side of Monk... a lot! Whoa! It reminds me of Remember WENN in the area of getting to know the characters, and the serious drama with the crazy comedy. But as Becky has indicated, I have seen all the episodes... :)