Tuesday, July 29, 2008

These Last Few Days

Yesterday was really hot, and we were left out in the sun too long. My goodness, my neck is bright red! I think I'll be more careful in China about putting sunscreen on.

Rehearsal started at 10am, which left plenty of time for sleeping in. We worked on music pretty much constantly, which is a good thing. I'm getting some of this stuff down pretty well. Memorizing music has never been one of my strong points, but I'm definitely making improvement in that area this time through.

I was able to get to know the mellophone from Oregon much better. She's thinking about doing grad school in physical therapy and although she's her school's mello section leader, she's kinda shy about talking in groups, like I am. She said it's hard to teach without coming off as sounding mad, because she would be nervous and would have to talk loudly. I'm glad I never even considered auditioning for section leader... yeah. I enjoy being a learner, because that's the level I am at.

Rehearsal got over at 3pm, and that left time at home for relaxing, eating a nice dinner with the whole family, paying my credit card bills for the month, doing important communications with people before I go, watching Star Trek III with the family because I hadn't seen that stupid one in a long time..., and practicing a few places in the Olympic Medley, before retiring to bed.

Today, rehearsal was much shorter becasue we were limited in our use of the high school band room. We rehearsed the Classical and Olympic Medleys and 'Sing,Sing,Sing'. Afterwords, the Husky Band treated all the college kids out to a nice lunch to celebrate the end of band camp before we go to China. We don't have anything tomorrow, and thank goodness, because I need to get ready to go. I like waiting till the last minute to pack for things, and this will be perfect, because I need to be on the bus at 4am the next morning! That should be an interesting night...

It's hard to decide what to do with myself in these few moments that nothing is scheduled. I suppose I should practice for a while and start getting my clothes together or something before my friend comes over tonight.

I feel slightly ill at ease about not being packed, but I don't really want to yet... I can never decide... before big trips like these. Oh, dear! Just take a deep breath (sigh) and everything will be fine.

Until next time,
Jp

No comments: