Thursday, July 3, 2008

Food and Thoughts

Since we get paid for a full day tomorrow, we've only had 8 hour days this week... which is a lot more fun than 9 hour days... and since I've worked extra, I only have 6 1/2 to finish today!

Then I have to mix up some pie crust so it will be chilled for tomorrow's baking! There's nothing quite as good as good ol' Apple Pie on the Fourth of July. Hoo-rah for being American!

Just watched The Philadelphia Story last night for the first time. My family's not really a Katherine Hepburn fan, but she was pretty good in this one. Also, Cary Grant starred, in a role that was so similar to My Gal Friday, it was scary, but of course, well acted. The real reason for getting this one, thank you Netflix, was Jimmy Stewart. And like always, he was excellent. I don't think I ever remember him doing a drunk scene before, and the one he did in this one was great. I was watching for him to do that over the top drunkenness that's so common in movies, but he did it with a reservedness that made it really believable. Meg said that they gave him an Oscar for this performance because they messed up and didn't give him one for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, where it was deserved like none other. Yeah, I hate the Oscars; they usually screw it up. One thing I really appreciated about Philadelphia Story, was an interesting and well written screenplay. It's really a shame that dialogue today is usually so terrible. It's like screenwriters have forgotten how people actually talk.

A Jimmy Stewart movie that I really want to see is Carbine Williams, from the 1950's. Unfortunately, Netfilx doesn't have it and neither does anybody else, that I could find. Boo.

Until Next Time,
Jp

No comments: