Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Breather

A two-day respite for the weary! After a month at sea, two afternoons and evenings at home really felt like a holiday, times two!

Monday, which actually was a holiday (to honor our Presidents), we pulled into Norfolk. They put out the Liberty Call at 11:15, and by 11:30, I was dropped off at my car with my bags. Didn't even have to get worn out with a long walk. The first thing I did was get some groceries on Hampton Blvd. I dropped them off at home, tried to locate a couple packages I had shipped here, talked to Mom for a few minutes, then drove over to Little Creek Blvd. for a fantastic Mexican dinner. Stopped by the thrift store down that way (where I had gotten a few things when I first came to Virginia), including a two-volume illustrated history of the presidents, fittingly.

Tuesday we were let off in the early afternoon again. I came home and made my salmon and shrimp dinner that I had in the fridge from the day before. I was so pleased to just spend another evening at home. It felt like another holiday, even though I had duty the next day. The package of things I sent to Mike while in Florida was sitting on my doorstep when I got back from work and it was a little trip down memory lane. There were things in there that I had completely forgotten about: the decorative tile with a koi swimming in a lily pond from the Jacksonville Zoo... it was like Christmas. :) I managed to find my Soaps & Suds laundry card in there, so that evening I went out to Ocean View and did a big load. While it was drying, I crossed the street and picked up a couple movies at the rental store with a coupon that had come in the mail and got a cup of coffee at McDonald's as well.

Jw

No comments: