Sunday, November 25, 2012

If My Eyes Could be Cameras

It's really neat to say, "I think I'll go to Petersburg today." Back in Washington I could have said that about Ellensburg... but that's just not the same.

I had got 10 hours of sleep the night before, so I woke up Saturday ready to do whatever. I made breakfast, somehow lost a few hours online figuring out what I felt like doing that day. It ranged from Chincoteague to Richmond to just Norfolk. I decided on Petersburg just before 10 and left right around then. Packed sandwich stuff and cameras and CDs... deviated from the GPS route so I could cross the James River Bridge... and picked up coffee, turkey, mustard, bananas and a carrot to supplement my own supplies.

  The countryside was so pretty! I wish I could have stopped to take pictures of everything I saw... the bales of cotton stacked in a cotton field... County Road 666 to a meat packing plant... Colonial Vehicle Repair... the cute courthouse in Surry with a Confederate statue out front... but mostly the gorgeous fall color everywhere!

The park itself was very neat, and very worth visiting. This is what I did get off. They had a short video in the Visitor's Center, a little museum set up around it, and good things in the bookstore. I got General Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's war memoirs: "Bayonet! Forward." My Civil War Reminiscences. Can't wait to read it! Also on the way back I saw Grant's Headquarters at City Point in Hopewell. Just a gorgeous day!

On the way back through Williamsburg, I stopped at B&N and picked up a copy of Dorthy Sayers Complete Stories, which includes the short Peter Wimsey ones. On getting home, I ate my Panera Bread broccoli cheddar soup and finished my homemade pumpkin pie. Hung up my Christmas lights outside, then flew off to pick up one of my friends from the ship for the Martina McBride Christmas concert she invited me to at Old Dominion University.


This was a lot of fun... besides singing a couple of her own: Anyway, My Daughter's Eyes, and I'm Gonna Love You Through It. She started off with snow songs, added in great ones like Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and I'll Be Home for Christmas. There was a little Grinch performance, then they played a video of her and Elvis doing Blue Christmas live. She finished out with Christian stuff... especially loved her acapella version of O Holy Night to finish. So glad I got invited!

Here's something random: ever since seeing this on VH1 on TV on the mess decks in the morning, I've been mesmorized by it. Pretty sure it's all those ohs, the background and the uniforms too. Some Nights by Fun. Here are the lyrics. I needed help in a couple places. Maybe it was their haircuts while in Civil War uniforms.

Chatted when I got back home... stayed up way too late, but it wasn't the end of the world...

Today's very fine lunch! I discovered the upside-down cheeseburger tastes better (by accident)... and then there's the apple pie-in-jar I got from Kristin on Thanksgiving.





Slept in this morning! And just bummed around the house finishing off breakfast eggs, sausage, toast and coffee. Straightened up the place, bought my flight for next month, checked on all my bills, warmed up my leftover frozen hamburger for a very fine burger for lunch. Going out tonight I think.

Outside my window this morning
Jw

No comments: