Sunday, November 20, 2011

Ah, Another Weekend

Friday we got out really early from class. I was walking to my car at 2pm... and I thought, "Gee, I should do something with all this time off...", but all I wanted to do was sit down in my room relax. Watched "Decision Before Dawn", because I couldn't remember how it ended. And then I watched the live stage version of "Les Miserables" and enjoyed it a whole bunch.

Saturday I was barely here at home. After breakfast, I decided to drive up north. Ended up going to the Flying Leatherneck's Museum at MCAS Miramar. Loved it! Small, but interesting; and they sure had quite a few jets and planes outside! Two of the folks in the store were prior service Sailors, and we talked quite a bit about our various experiences. The lady was a Dental Tech, and the older gentleman had a unique experience, being an aviation guy who ended up with a weapons safety qualification and then hand-picked to help out a destroyer with an exercise. Talked about weathering out a typhoon on DDG 14 (that's a hundred DDG's ago!) and walking on the bulkheads while it rolled! Yikes!

Drove a bit south and west to the Rose Canyon nature trail. Another canyon walk, just like the one I did at Tecolote a few weeks ago. Took lots of pictures, saw a couple cottontails and few birds... and explored the riverbed off the trail a little. The sun was going down though, so I couldn't stay too long. Back in the car, I stopped at a Target nearby and found an $18 space heater for my little room.

And then the evening's event: the opening performance of How the Grinch Stole Christmas in its 14th year at the Old Globe. Incredibly, Amanda Naughton was again performing without my prior knowledge. And this was the fourth time I've seen her act at the Globe. She played "Grandma Who", but still looked as young as ever under her white, curled wig. She screeched her lines like any grandma would, but her singing voice was as clear and beautiful as ever.

I loved it! Watched the cartoon online during chat when I got back, and realized I liked the play much better! The costumes and set pieces were all in black, red & white, except for the Grinch's green fur. This followed the book more closely, as that's how they appeared in print. Loved the attention to detail!

Today after church, Laramie and I went to the USS Midway museum. I think this was my fourth time seeing it, but that's not bad. :) We went to the flight deck first, then took the guided Bridge tour and then looked below. We had to park the car in Seaport Village, because the Midway's lot was closed due to the sailboat races in the bay for "America's Cup". What a day to go!

Laramie wanted to do some Christmas shopping at the big NEX on 32nd street, so we went there afterwords. I got the next installment of MHQ and another screen protector for my phone (just in case). And then we had dinner together at the food court. Don't be shocked: I had only had a small breakfast bagel and a small lunch after church... so I had a little lobster taco from Rubio's, a small hamburger with lots of veggies from Five Guys, and a delicious piece of pizza from Famiglia's for a grand total of $12.69. There were too many choices... and I was hungry! They also have Subway, IHOP & Panda Express... what a neat food court!

Cleaned up my room a bit when I got home... time to go back to regular life for another three days. Gee, life is so hard. ;)

Jw

No comments: