Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Spring Quarter PT and Ruck Marches

I didn't go to all three workouts a week in the spring; the previous quarter had taken a toll on me, especially on my study time. I went some Wednesdays... once there was rope climbing at the fitness center (wow, I really didn't have the arm strength for that), and I did go to a couple PT tests, one inside and the other in Husky Stadium. That last time, MS-4 (and cadet commander) Ms. Metish ran with me for the last couple laps (after she had finished her run!). I think SFC Tetu ran with me earlier on the same run. I must have been horribly slow. :)

I did go every Friday though; there were ruck marches in Husky Stadium. I'd have to carry mine from the E-1 parking lot... at least a 1/2 mile away. I had 15lbs in mine, although some of the cadets were carrying 45lbs by the end of the quarter! Yikes! We split up in battalions and switched from either marching around the track or walking up and down the steps of the lower stadium individually on aisles. It was really hard on the legs and back. After all this madness, we'd come together on the field for push-ups and other core and upper-body exercises. And all in an hour!

Later on in the year we did a couple road marches. Starting in the field next to the baseball stadium, we gathered, got accountability, and lined up to march. Crossed the creek over the bridge and marched around the nature trail and wetlands. It was so beautiful in the early morning with the sunrises. But it was very hard. I remember thinking at one point, "When we get to that point, up ahead, I'll drop out." But I didn't. On a later march, I did fall behind with another girl. MS-4 Ms. Rother stayed with us and commented that she didn't like how things were run. They used to make slow people march in the front and leave no one behind. I don't think I was too saddened by this news. :) I was glad when I turned in that stupid ruck sack at the end of it all. :)

Every summer the MS-3's (third year students) go to camp at Fort Lewis for a couple weeks. It's called "Warrior Forge"; everything we did seemed to be in preparation for it. It's the big step before becoming a senior cadet. They are the ones who lead the MS-3's and evaluate their leadership skills. I never got close to that though... I only did these two quarters as a first year.

One of the biggest disappointments was my missing the BRM (basic rifle marksmanship). It was the same day as a family friend's wedding, and I made the very hard decision to go there instead.

I also skipped the Spring Land Nav... busy with school, and I was starting to feel that this all wasn't for me. The Spring FTX fortified this in my mind.

No comments: