Monday, September 5, 2011

Slower Days

Yesterday I slept in too late to go to the Mission Village church, so I tried out the "Divine Protestant Service" at 10:30 on the sub base. Tiny little chapel, but very pretty. It has wood paneling, a dozen or so wooden pews on each side of the single aisle, a wooden pulpit to the back right of the room as you walk in, and a big cross with an open Bible on a table in front. I sort of figured it'd be rather traditional... the Catholic service is in the same building at 9.

The Chaplain opened the service with a reading from Colossians 1. I thought, "Wow, he starts with the sermon"... but that was just the welcome. :) We sang a few familiar hymns, including Fairest, Lord Jesus, did a bit of corporate prayer, then heard from Mark 4, where Jesus calms the storm. He went through the disciples actions and related that to how we should respond to trouble. It was a pretty good service, and I was pleasantly surprised.

My plan to go shooting at the gun range didn't pan out that afternoon though, because the guy I was going with stood me up. The joys of dealing with other people.

I did end up watching the movie I picked up at the library on Saturday... "84 Charing Cross Road" (1987, Anthony Hopkins, Anne Bancroft), and I enjoyed it immensely. Afterwords I went out to the Chinese Buffet on Sports Arena Blvd and thoroughly enjoyed their won ton soup and shrimp-fried rice, among other things. Then I stopped at Target for a new alarm clock, but couldn't find anything satisfactory. I did browse practically the entire store though, looking at the newest pocket camera (with 18x optical zoom! - Nikon S9100) and a few smart phones, a Rolling Stone special edition of the Beatles's albums... and other things. I found the metal wallet with accordion slots as advertised on TV, and I absolutely love it.

~

Today I did do what I planned. Stopped at McDonald's for oatmeal, juice and a sausage biscuit... on my way to Cabrillo National Monument. Got at the park at a quarter to ten, and didn't leave until one. Decided to get an annual pass this time, and if I go more than twice in the rest of the time I'm here, I will come out ahead. :)

Explored all the tide-pools for a long time; took lots of pics of the rocks, waves and crabs. Slipped and fell on my rear at one point... but barely even got wet. Had to carefully navigate across a steep ledge that was only a foot or so wide, but there were lots of hand-holds, and it was only for a couple feet. lol :) I then drove up to the top and got pictures from the lighthouse and visitor center.

For the rest of the day I did a little more shopping. Found some new shoes at Payless for a steal! And finally got an alarm clock at CVS... but found out when I returned that my old one still does work... just needed to take out the batteries and put them back in! So now I must return to CVS.

Had a burrito at Chipotle for a late lunch, then watched "Hellcats of the Navy" (Ronald Reagan, with an introduction by The Chester W. Nimitz). It was a present a while ago from my Mom and Dad. Otherwise, I've done my laundry and otherwise readied myself for the Navy tomorrow.

What an exciting, fun (and very long) weekend!

Jp

No comments: