Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Hiking Trip!

Ten of us took off in a Navy MWR (morale, welfare, recreation) van and drove 2+ hours east on I-8, and north on the scenic Sunset Highway. We ate snacks and watched the scenery! Wow, was it pretty! I had no idea that the Cleveland National Forest actually had trees... the stretch of it along I-8 over the mountains is all scrub land... and for the three times I've driven over the mountains, I've been either sarcastic or stupefied about a National Forest with no trees. But merely a half-hour away is a beautiful forest with campgrounds and lakes and gorgeous views of valleys. I stand corrected! And very pleased!

The trail head at Palm Canyon was tiny, and I was surprised they were able to turn that great big van around to park on the road leading to it (it was full). I lagged behind the others on the trail to take pictures and drink in the sights and smells... and fresh air. On the easy route around the edge of the mountain, we had to cross two streams... took my shoes off for the first and got the toe of my left shoe wet over the second (we were picking our way over stepping stones).

At the end of the trail, most of the party (and a lot of other people) went swimming in the pool beneath the waterfall. They said it was very cold. I've never been one for jumping into water like that, so I didn't even think to bring my towel or swimsuit. I enjoyed some snacks and took pictures. :)

On the way back, I went with 2 of my classmates and another Sailor up the way they had come down... or the hard way. It was roughly 50 yards of gripping and pulling with toes and fingers, going rather straight up. I shouted with joy when I got to the top! :) And then it was easy all the way back.

I slept soundly in the van for the duration of I-8 heading back to San Diego. Woke up when we were on Rosecrans! What a day! Got a little bit of sunshine on my forehead, but that's okay with me.

Jp

No comments: