Monday, March 14, 2011

Back in the Saddle Again (an incredible weekend)

The first thing I did Saturday morning after renting the car (and finding myself with a lovely, long-lost freedom yet again) I had Denny's on Rosecrans St. before heading off to the middle of the bottom of California for the Blue Angel's 2011 opening show at their home base of NAF El Centro. Zac had arrived already... Yuma being just 50+ miles away. We enjoyed their many displays, were surprised at finding a Star Wars legion and a British Army Airborne unit (with Blackhawk copter) there. The Brits sold me a picture book of British Airborne history (along with their unit patch) for just $1! Loved the displays and the aerobatics. They even had the same B-17 that we saw in AZ last March! One of the best airshows I've been to. We had a little lunch together, and watched the F-18's and F-16's with awe. The Angel's show at the end was impressive as always. I've never been quite so close up to them before. El Centro is a fantastic place for this sort of thing because there is nothing but bright sky in all directions. :)

That night I stayed at a local motel to rest and avoid the setting sun in my eyes for the two-hour drive back. It was great to take it easy! Tried out their pool, but that was outside and un-heated. Ouch! it was cold! :) I got in all the way, but I didn't stay long. The people who came in while I was in were not surprised that I was from Seattle. Took a shower to help heal my sun-burned arms after that, then had an In & Out burger across the street, with their fresh french fries and a chocolate shake. Mm, mmm! During the brief chat I watched a Myrna Loy movie, did a little puzzle at the table, and relaxed on the queen bed.

Sunday, I did everything I contemplated the night before, and then some. Just adore the drive over the mountains... really neat rocks. Stopped in El Cajon for gas and a quick grilled chicken sandwich at the Denny's I've been to before. Drove straight to Balboa Park, got there 5 min. before the film "Ocean Oasis" (about Baja California) began. Beautiful music and sweeping scenes. They ended with footage of the diver/narrator swimming with and hanging onto a huge manta ray! Wow! Then took in the rest of the museum; but the Facebook pics do not account for the photography exhibits on the top two floors. One of aerial photographs of the American West... and the other of "colors of water". The most interesting pieces were B/W images from Washington... :)

Then across the street from the museum at the children's theater, they had a used book sale. Among a couple paperbacks and an interesting Nat Geo Mag, I found THIS for 50 cents!!! Happened to find it at the last second as I was thinking about checking out.

With my last few hours I volunteered at the library for one, got a sausage/mushroom/green pepper pizza across the street, ran into a friend from Great Lakes, drove both of us back to the base, unloaded everything and had dinner, and then drove off to explore the Point Loma Naval Base on the peninsula... the lighthouse on the tip was closed, so I'll have to go back. Bought a long-sleeve PT shirt at the NEX to protect my poor arms, then returned the car. Used the USO shuttle for a ride back to base, and was suddenly hit with my return to car-less-ness. :(

It was certainly a fun-filled, exciting weekend... with much to be thankful for... but I sure do miss my family.

Jp

No comments: