Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Last Days at Great Lakes

Monday I graduated and packed. And that night I decided I really didn't want to eat at the galley for my last dinner... and I remembered my Outback card from Christmas. One of my roommates went with me and we had a grand feast... bloomin' onion to share (yes, it was a bit much for two) and I had an 8 ounce special with shrimp on the side and grilled veggies. It was wonderful. And the taxi we came in waited for us to take us back... which worked out well for us. Got back in plenty of time for my very last 2100 muster and night's sleep in Great Lakes.

Somehow I was excited to get up in the morning today... :) Didn't have muster, but I did have to report to the transfer people at 8. Had to run all over base in freezing temps (in my dress blues) to return my bedroll and check out of my barracks. I saw that cardinal again... and found out someone I knew was going to be travelling with me... a fellow STG that I met my first week here. We ate lunch at the galley together and got mutually excited for the journey. The folks at my building are pretty laid back for checking out; they let me stay in my room until it was time to catch the bus. I was safely on the greyhound and falling asleep by 1300. We didn't actually leave the base until 1348 because we had to pick up others, but by then I was awake enough for the entire journey to the airport.

Waved goodbye to the frozen fields of white as we launched into the air around 1645, to start chasing down the sunset.

Jp

No comments: