Saturday, June 26, 2010

Old Time, Same Place

Today I didn't quite make it in at 9 :) I woke up around 9:30 :) But I needed it!

I missed a couple things: a talk about sound effects from a live report of D-Day, and the other a documentary still in the makings about all sorts of radio things (I gather). When I walked in the door it was footage of Foley artists trying to find perfect sounds. It would have been nice, but I was in time for the next thing, which I cared about very much:

Leonard Smith, along with his wife Ann and son Anthony (and Gloria and two other REPS members) performed a tribute titled "Memories of Radio" that Leonard wrote, featuring famous sketches and songs. They started with a scene of a ballroom orchestra. It was soon interrupted with a special bulletin about Martians landing... segueing into narration about the War of the Worlds. There were notes of the beginnings of radio, the founding of the Mutual Broadcasting System, and sentimental sides:

"Radio became the news and entertainment medium for Depression-Era America: a shared, common experience that came right into one's living-room, night after night... It has been said that in the summertime one could walk down the streets of American towns and hear the entire fifteen-minute nightly Amos 'n' Andy broadcast without missing a line."

There were notes of "bloopers", an excerpt of Clem McCarthy announcing a Joe Lewis fight (complete with crowd noise), and the fact that radio made so many musicians famous, followed by a live performance of "Tangerine" by Ann Smith, accompanied by her son Anthony on the piano. Afterwords, The Lone Ranger and Jack Armstrong burst onto the scene; the latter described as "being instrumental in the defeat of Nazi Germany and Japan." LOL! Little tidbits of information on these kid shows and others were thrown in. The Shadow had his laugh and Mr. District Attorney had an excerpt and a conclusion: "Boss Verona was eventually brought to justice. The D.A. had Miss Miller pose as the bride to deliver the kidnap ransom, and in the darkness of the meeting place, she managed to snap some photographic evidence with that new marvel of 1942 science, infrared light."

There was so much fun listening in here: mysteries, soap operas, Jack Benny, the coming of the War, music from movies, the 'Who's on First?' routine, and the end of the swing era. Leonard and Ann sang a duet of "I Remember You". This was followed by a touching story about Judy Garland returning to the public scene (in the '60's?) on Bing Crosby's show, and Ann sang "Over the Rainbow". They closed with a rendition of Bob Hope's "Thanks for the Memory" that Ann had written new words to, mentioning all these programs and reminiscing about how funny, lively, silly and happy it all was. No, thank you, Smith family!

Okay... I'm only to 11 am. This might be a long one. :0

Leonard kindly autographed my program and I was able to let him know that this was the highlight of the whole weekend. He complimented me on my pen... lol! And he didn't even know two other great actors this year (besides Gloria the previous day) had used the same one. :)

Next up was a CBS Radio Mystery Theater story about "The Buchanan Caper", where a boy is trying to be located because he wrote a school paper about his friends using disintegration beams, teletransmuters, and matter-changers. The assistant principle wanted to cash in on their possible inventions, but anyone who got close to the kid instantly disappeared. :) It was fun, but also a little jarring, coming from the romance I had just been lost in. It was also from the 1970's, complete with old coke and hot dog ads.

And then it was lunch break. I only had yogurt and granola on my way out the door at about ten, so I was ready. Went across the street to the very swank and pricey "Whole Foods Market", where I had some sample "pork and maple breakfast sausage" (wow!), sushi rice, avocado & cucumber bites (again, wow), and a drink of "Mango Madness" juice, the later so good that I actually bought one. I got that and a bean and zucchini salad. Small, but tasty and healthy.

Upon returning, host John Jenson played a bunch of clips from comedy routines. He played video of Eddie Cantor on "Time to Smile" (1939), Abbot & Costello's "Who's on First?" (deja vu), a rare Burns & Allen routine from the '30's (Gracie worked in a department store for 5 years and did nothing but crosswords - and George wanted a tie - "a pie? what flavor?"), a Red Skelton skit, a Jimmy Dorante number, and then audio clips of Bergan & McCarthy (about the boy scouts - very cute) and Phil Harris & Alice Fey (about getting Phil to let Alice do another movie). I enjoyed this one very much.

Bob Loudon, from yesterday morning, did another segment of swing songs and radio bloopers, which was followed by a performance of "Jack Armstrong, the Aaaaaalll American Boy". It was full of Nazis, boat chases, and gee-wiz! lots of stuff. Gloria sat next to me during this one and we were able to chat for a bit.

In the next room, the next moment, was SUSPENSE... and this year, they did a fun episode! The lady who played Miss Brooks yesterday played Lucille Ball (playing the featured role)! And she was great! It was about a hard working girl in New York who got her purse stolen with her last nickel and then returned with a wad of cash in an episode entitled "The Ten Grand". Very neat. Greek-American citizens were collecting cash for the resistance and evading German agents... very fun!

There was a bit of a break after this so the caterers could set up the room for the banquet. The silent auction was ending, so I went to see how the one thing I bid on was doing. It was a book by an Enthusiast's father who created I Love Lucy, Jess Oppenheimer. Gregg, his son, directs many of the radio shows they perform here. But somebody else got the book. Oh, well :)

I had the same thing for dinner this year as last: salmon garnished with rice and grilled zucchini & veggies. And nearly everyone at my table had it: Gloria and her husband Ron, Kate, who plays Judy Garland, and the wife of the only person here I know, Dave Selvig, who I learned of this organization from last year. He had steak :) Boy, did I get a good table!!! Dave was one of the actors in Leonard's "Memories" this morning... and he gave me his script! GOSH! That's why I was able to quote with precision above. :) So by the end of the four hours we spent together, we were all pretty friendly. :) We talked a little about my joining the Navy (they were all so nice!) and a little more about Gloria's experiences with Eve Arden and Len Smith.

Oh! But I forgot to mention... while we were waiting around for dinner beforehand, I was able to shake hands with Mr. Norman Corwin and give him my deepest appreciation for coming to speak to us and for his great work. He sat at the table behind me. (holy cow!)

There were three programs while we were still at our tables. Chuck McCann did a sketch of a Shakespearean actor from England doing Julius Caesar in Central Park. The soundtrack of airplanes, people booing, workman jack-hammering, cars honking, sirens blaring, and the police helicopter interrupting was hysterical. No one could stop from laughing, and many cried. It was particularly fun for me, just being in Central Park two-and-a-half weeks ago. :)

We then had an episode of The Great Gildersleeve, starring Shirley Mitchell in her original role as the widow Leila Ransom and local OTR director Jim French as Throckmorton. It was LOL funny, of course. It was Leila's first show... he introduced himself as the local air-raid martial and she told him, "You look so big and military!" and he replied, "You should see me in my gas mask!" "Oh, I bet it would make you look so handsome!". Good times.

For a finale, if that's possible, they did The Treasury Hour Bond Show, featuring nearly everyone. What a night! I guess the pictures prove that it actually did happen... wow.

Jp

No comments: