Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sailing, Sailling...

A couple weeks ago I got an email from one of the local groups I support that they were going out for a sail on a wooden schooner named "Adventuress" through another local group that owns and operates it. And I thought, "Wow! Sailing on a sailing boat!" And so I did.

The cruise started at 5 o'clock and lasted for about three hours... and no, we were not shipwrecked. :) The ship has two masts, but it also has an engine. It was one of the first schooners equipped with an engine. It was built in Boothbay (lol) Maine in 1913. We started out hearing about it's history, how it was built by some millionaire in the east in order to collect specimens for the museum of natural history... but that didn't work out and it was sold to someone in San Francisco before it came to Seattle. It was a fun little ride in the bright sunshine and in the spotty light rain. Once the wind picked up, I was very glad of my coat!

There was a short talk about the organization I support that organized this thing (People for Puget Sound), and it was great because they mentioned things they've had some success with in the local Tacoma area (where we were cruising).

When we were coming in I saw a seal swimming just ahead of us! He bobbed up and down before disappearing just as we came on. I was able to help reef the sail, and that was a lot of fun!

Fun adventure, indeed!
Jp

[As for the rest of the day... I realized I only mentioned the one thing... I spent a lot of time with the dog. We went for a couple walks! He was very energetic and we even ran part of the way through the park! While Meg was watching a lot of the Derby blab with Jason and Steph, I went out, stopped by the library and then dropped off some stuff at the goodwill. I got rid of extra shoes and oddly, backpacks that have collected over the years, both that I've barely ever used. I ironed and hung up the Navy flag I got in Bremerton, washed and made my bed, and also did a little vacuuming. Now my room really looks ship-shape. We watched the actual two-minute race and unfortunately, Stately Victor got eighth. But Ice Box did get second and I picked him for that. :)]

1 comment:

Zach said...

Jennifer! Thank you for your post and link to Adventuress. We are really happy you had a good time.

All the best,

Zach