Thursday, July 23, 2009

Here I Am Again... And Loving It.

I didn't feel like getting up right away this morning at 4:30... until I remembered what I was doing... and then it still took me a second. :) My dad drove me to the airport, and as I had checked in online yesterday, I went right to security and flew right through it, unbelievably. My gate was just a few doors down, and right before arriving I stopped at the Great American Bagel Company and got myself what they call a "Seattle Sunrise" breakfast bagel. Only needed to hang out for about a half-hour before they started boarding. Got sleepy right away after finding my window seat right in front of the exit row on the wing. Woke up when the engines kicked on for takeoff... took a picture or twenty of the mountains... (and the Columbia River, separating Washington and Oregon - a half hour into the flight) - gosh, the cloud cover in front of Mt. Rainier made it look like the world was blanketed in snow...


...and then sort of slept for about an hour and a half. It was the smoothest plane ride I've ever been on. Then again, maybe that's because I was checked out... but I doubt it.

It took a little longer than I anticipated to get to the car rental place and get my car... but my very detailed schedule worked out excellently with it anyway... I had time to spare wherever I went today :)

Drove right to the USS Midway (CV41), right on the harbor drive. The admission includes a self-guided audio tour that you can punch location numbers into and hear the story about the place. Doing the entire thing was estimated at 3+ hours, so I just listened to what sparked my interest. I did everything in an hour and a half. Wow! I want to join the Navy! :) In the ready room for the pilots a former Midway pilot was there to answer questions or whatnot, and we talked for a moment. He was very supportive and nice to talk to. As the carrier lived through three wars, it had planes ranging from WWII to the present day. Very fun indeed! They had the Dauntless (pictured) and an Avenger in the hanger, and then all sorts of modern and older jets and helicopters on the deck.

Although hungry after finishing at noon or so, I got in the car directly and drove up the coast 10 miles to the Birch Aquarium. Now that place was just totally cool! I saw some species for the first time... including upside-down jellies (their tentacles float on top - didn't know they existed) live nautiluses and so many different types of corals, keeping count would have been impossible. And they had five leafy sea dragons! That was so cool! :) It was a simple aquarium, as they are just a branch of a ocean research group, but they sure put on a good show!


I left right around 4PM, and when I saw the line for I-5 South, I was glad I was early! But it ended up moving just fine. Just took a second to get on. Drove straight to Balboa Park, found extremely close parking, walked around for a good bit, exploring and finding three museums that I'd like to peek into if I get the time. I changed out of my sweaty t-shirt into a nice blouse for the evening and I then treated myself to The Prado again, like last time I was here. Had that same salad... and surprise, a pasta dish! :) Last year I had Julius Caesar with me during dinner, but this time I started Animal Farm. Had to have a dish of ice cream too... :)

I've never read Twelfth Night before. In fact, I still haven't. But I realized, as I was watching it (and adoring it) that this is the way these plays were meant to be enjoyed for the first time... with actors! (that's just my lazy excuse for not having taken the time to read it before now like I told myself I would). The director decided to have it set in the 1950's. So they were reading old English lines, but looking like they should be behaving like people from Happy Days. It took a second to get used to, but I did. In fact, it worked just fine. My gosh, I can't imagine Celia as Viola... acting "like a boy!" Oh, dear! :) Oh, and Amanda's husband did all the set designs for these outdoor plays! Awesome! This stage is right next to the Old Globe... the theater which is currently playing the one Rupert Holmes wrote the book for. It was nice to see his name on a big poster :) Gosh, I miss WENN...

I got to the hotel here at 11:30. And that's what it should be for the next two nights.

No problems, no worries, smooth sailing... so far!
Whoa... you mean to tell me I have 2 + more days to go? Sweet!

I like it when hotels have free wi-fi...
Jp

No comments: