Saturday, January 10, 2009

Lovely View of the Lake

A couple days ago, a friend of mine from Husky Band invited me and a couple of his friends via Facebook to go for a bike ride today, starting at the University and going 9 miles down Lake Washington to Seward Park and back. It has been a long time since I've been biking, but I've wanted to get back into it... so I was quite surprised and pleased that it worked out the way it did.


I got literally winded after the 2nd hill - gasping for air and such -, but we stopped for a moment at the top so I could get my breath back and we continued on. Most of the terrain on the ride was even, so I made it alright. And that's where it was really nice! Even though today was windy and cloudy and pretty chilly, it was just wonderful riding along the lake. I had never been on this route before, so I was surprised that we were so close to the water.

I've done the north route (from Woodinville to Seattle) on the Burke-Gilman Trail, but only a few times can you see the lake. Except for that one short part in Kenmore where there are these beautiful views of Mount Rainier (on clear days). But it's very different from the south route that we did today... the north route is never on streets (it's a maybe 12 foot wide paved path)... the south route is completely on the streets. First time biking with cars! Wouldn't want to do that alone much!

Gosh, what fun! The whole trip took two and a half hours. After we were done I went and got myself half of a QFC sandwich (the kind I adore... sourdough, turkey, swiss, 4 kinds of veggies and avocado and humus), and when I got home I ate it and then took a long, relaxing shower. I know my seat and my legs are going to feel horrible tomorrow... oh well!

Jp

No comments: