Wednesday, October 8, 2008

First Class!

I went to my first class for Photography last night at the UW. It's on Tuesday and Thursday nights, for 3 hours each class. It's a three quarter program, so I'll be doing this for the next 9 months. The grading is promised to be pretty laid back and everyone in the class is there simply because they love taking photos and they want to get better or understand what they're doing.

Tuesday classes are focused on the History of Photography this quarter; Thursdays will focus on techniques, beginning with film photography and darkroom work, and each are taught by two different instructors. I met them both last year at an information meeting, and the lady who teaches on Tuesdays was taught years ago by the guy who teaches on Thursdays. They're both very nice, fun-loving people.

Last night we started the history side of things, and I already learned a bunch. This is our textbook that I have to start reading now. She had a slide-show of photographs that we discussed, along with a few slides of text about the photographers, in this case, the people who developed the idea and process of photography as well as a few details on the processes and chemicals they used. We got to see the very first photograph, taken in 1835, if I remember correctly [1827!!!! 10/9/08]. The exposure time was 8 hours! They didn't have shutters; they would just let the light come in the camera and be exposed on a chemically treated plate, usually glass or metal, but later paper as well. There was a photograph of Trafalgar Square when Nelson's pillar and statue were under construction. There were no people in the photo because of the exposure time that was required, which didn't record any moving objects. I was the first to recognise the location of the photo! Anyway, I had a wonderful time, and I'm very much looking forward to future classes.

It was very strange to be back in class! I had to book it, since class starts at 6pm and I get off work at 5pm, and I have to cross the lake! I forgot to bring a notebook to write notes on, so I just used the back of my syllabus. When I got to my car to leave, I realized that I had forgotten a pen as well, so I stole one out of my dad's car (we work at Aerojet together). I think I will be slightly better prepared for Thursday. Hurrah for being back in school! Sort of. LOL

Jp

No comments: