Saturday, August 16, 2008

China - Aug. 8

August 8th:

Today after breakfast, we left for the Summer Palace outside Beijing. Echo again gave us a little bit of the history behind the place. I think she told us it was built around 1750 by an emperor in the Qing Dynasty. It was used by emperors for the rest of the Imperial period until 1911. It was probably used the most by the Empress dowager Ci Xi (also called "the Dragon Lady") who was the real force behind the last three emperors, who were puppet emperors. It was burned several times in the 1800's by conquering western powers and was rebuilt each time. It was refurbished by the People's Republic in the '60's as a historical landmark and a recreation area.

I found it much more beautiful than the Forbidden City. This was because it was less imposing. There was a small lake inside it's walls, on which we took a boat ride. They had cool shops as well, so I bought myself some popcorn, a booklet of coins of all the emperors of the Qing Dynasty, and a fan with nine dragons decorating it (a symbol of the authority of the emperors). We stayed what seemed like a short time.

While we were waiting for the bus, Natalie finally bought a fake Rolex for her brother, who requested one. It made me think of Randy in New York.

Since the hotel we were going to eat lunch at, now had President George W. Bush coming, it was closed off, and we went to a pearl market/fancy buffet/restaurant instead. The meal was pretty good; I especially like the chicken and cucumber. After lunch, I went back downstairs and bought a beautiful silk embroidered picture of twelve red carp arranged in a circle. It's very Chinese and very fishy: something that will go well, framed in my room. It's my most cultural/beautiful souvenir so far.

Back at the hotel, all the Husky Band members went outside in our red polo uniforms and formed the Olympic rings with just our 100-ish people. I was in the very top of the far right ring, next to Rachel and Rebecca Kim. (I've been in band with Rebecca since 1997! Except for the 2 years I went to community college. Wow! That's a long time - Jr. High, High School and college!)

I was then able to squeeze in some time to blog before our banquet. At 7 pm, everyone gathered to watch the opening ceremony, Live, on Chinese TV, and eat a duck dinner, which was very good. After we were done eating, Natalie and I retired to her room to watch what remained of it. I then went to my room and packed my bags, as we are going to take a train for Shanghai tomorrow.

Jp

No comments: