Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Winter Quarter Field Training Exercise, Fort Lewis

This was the most fun of my short career in the US Army.

Another bus ride to Fort Lewis, except this time we first went to Keeler Pool, the base water-sports facility for water survival training.

1. we had to swim half the 25 meter length pool in BDU's and tennis shoes (it would have been unnecessary to wet our boots we had to wear the rest of the day). Very hard to swim in heavy clothes... I was wearing the heavy winter version as well, making it harder.

2. we were pushed in with a rubber duck M-16 and wearing an LCE; had to swim the other half without dropping the 20lb rifle, holding it above the water, doing sidestroke.

3. pushed in again, but had to drop the LCE while under water and then hold the rifle.

4. walked off a 10 foot tower blindfolded (a watch-cap pulled down over the face) with an LCE on, holding a rifle outstretched with elbows locked (so it wouldn't hit your face with hitting the water). I ripped the blindfold off quite fast, held onto my rifle and greatly desired air on my way up to the surface. :) Lifeguards were waiting in the water just in case.

5. lastly, we learned how to inflate a pair of pants and use them as a float.

This was the first thing I did well... passed all the events and felt very good about myself. My platoon, 1st platoon, went first, so we had more time to clean up afterwords, which I loved. I was warned beforehand to wear a swimsuit underneath, and that was nice.

The other half of the FTX was a 5-point land navigation. This time I went solo... which excited me. Only I could keep myself from getting lost. :) I ended up finding 5 points! One wasn't on my plan, so technically only 4... but given my track record of less than 50% last time, it was pretty good. I did have to restart on a few points, but not too bad. As I found my fifth point, I looked on a glorious scene... I was on top of a small hill, surrounded and covered by tall trees; sunshine fell through them, showering the fern-covered forest floor with golden beams. I praised the Lord for the unexpected gift of beauty.

I was ready to join... sunshine, accomplishments... but on the walk back to camp, Master Sargent Henderson drove by in the van and asked how I was doing. I proudly stated I had all five... and he responded that I should be running in if I was done. I was shot down, but not too badly. I started jogging... maybe the army wasn't for me. :) Sargent First Class Tetu, my instructor, was pleasantly surprised with my accomplishment and told me so when I got back.

Overall, a very fun day.

No comments: