Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Miltary Science 103, and Other Events

When we were back on campus from the FTX, I shared my decision with an MS-3 before Mom came to pick me up. She was disappointed I quit because of my hardships, but encouraged that someone actually joined the program from the silly Climbing Wall thing they do every Fall quarter.

Most of the class time in the Spring was dedicated to preparing and presenting a complete Operations Order. My group decided on planning a recreational trip to Fort Lewis for all the MS-1's. Somehow I got it into my head that it was something we were actually going to do. Too bad... it would have been quite fun. Laser Tag, or Paintball and a trip to the Military Museum were among the events we focused on. It was a very good lesson on military detail... so much information went into the thing. And during the actual presentation, most of us just read through the details as if it were a laundry list. When I came to the part I actually cared about, I threw in my story about visiting the museum in 1996 with my family, and the MS-4 who evaluated us really only liked points like that. :)

Besides the FTX, the other major event of Spring quarter was the Joint Service Review in observance of Memorial Day. Senior Air Force Cadet William Carter, also a member of Husky Band, was in charge of providing live music at the review. I joined his little ensemble of Navy and Air Force cadets as the first member from the Army in years. Will arranged the music, which was a salute to all the armed forces, for the 2 trumpets, 2 saxes, 1 flute, 1 clarinet, and then of course me. I tried it out with French horn first, but I soon switched to Mellophone, as it was a lot easier to hold while standing up, like we were going to be. We had regular rehearsals for about a month or so in the Air Force's area of Clark Hall.

I was bubbling with excitement the day of the review. Had to get there early in the morning for a rehearsal of where we'd all stand. There were going to be high-ranking officers present to give speeches to all the cadets. The Air Force and Navy had rifle drill teams perform, and I know our little band would enhance the whole experience. And I remember giving my first salute to an officer coming out of Clark Hall that morning. In the hours between practice and performance I went around campus and took a set of pictures with the beautiful May sunshine all around.

I much enjoyed getting into Class A's and even more, performing for that large crowd. The ceremony was very long, indeed, and oh, how my feet hurt! But it was fun! We played at the beginning and at the end. Most cadets stood in formations at Parade Rest... I had a better job! (Class B's to the left... Class A's below)

It wasn't the first time I was amongst the student body in uniform. In Winter quarter, we practiced marching around campus sometimes. I remember the first time pretty well... we were lined up in a row like ducklings and marched, responding to commands from a classmate. And of course, on Wednesdays we'd be in uniform all day... in classes and out of them. Once in the spring we had a mini land navigation exercise on Denny Field; because it was land nav, I wore my LCE with my BDU's, which was uniform of the day. When I showed up in the Clark Hall lounge, everyone spoke as if I didn't know that we don't wear LCE's to class. However, SFC Tetu told me after we were done that he thought my attitude was "high speed"... Army lingo for very good... and that he thought I'd make a good soldier, or whatever I ended up doing. He was such a nice guy. He handed out GI issue flag patches as prizes. :)

Another benefit of being in ROTC was the use of the student computer lab, near the lounge. We had free printing rights... and that itself was a wonderful thing. They had little snacks for sale and a microwave. I spent many afternoons, especially on Wednesdays, in this little room.

And there was a little Drill & Ceremony demonstration near the end of the quarter. He used me to show the rest of the class a proper salute. In anticipation of the JSR, we had a drill practice outside... I remember he corrected my overstepped about-face.

On the topic of D & C... on occasion I would offer to be the Army cadet to take down the Army flag at colors. Other people were loath to do it sometimes, and I never could understand that. It was an official ceremony we did every day... Cadets from all the branches would gather out front, march in cadence to the nearby flag pole and haul down all the flags. I love the ceremonial part of the military; I suppose that's because I love history and tradition.

There was a car wash fundraiser that we had at the local Burgermaster restaurant in University Village, in order to finance the end of the year Dining Out on the Argosy Cruise. The cruise itself was a lot of fun. Lots of odd traditions... riddles, jokes, drinking from the "grog". But the dinner was fantastic... steak and salmon with asparagus; and the view wasn't bad either... a great sunset over the Olympic mountains while we cruised around Puget Sound.

As the year wound down, there were fun little things too. Played softball with everyone once... and made an outstanding fielding play at second base that wowed everyone. They didn't know I used to play and had only to recall my long-practiced skills. :)

There was also an end of the year BBQ on Denny lawn. Basketball, food, hang-out time. By that time I had already delivered a letter to Captain Lisa Pirak and Sargent First Class Robert Tetu:

___"I want to thank you for all the time and effort you’ve put into my experience in the Army ROTC program. I have enjoyed learning about the ins and outs of the army, a little bit of the history and drill and ceremony. After very careful consideration over these last two quarters, I’ve decided not to contract. I do not feel that I have the level of dedication necessary. It takes a lot of heart to stay committed, as you of course know, and my heart is not in it; I know now that it is not for me.
___I do not regret a single second that I have spent doing PT’s, FTX’s, LLAB’s and classes, not to mention hanging out in the lounge making friends with many of the cadets. This was a great experience for me and I am very happy that I tried it out. Now, instead of just wondering about what military service really is, I know and have a deep respect for what you do. Thank you for your commitment to the country and to the Army, but also to the cadets at the University of Washington. Sincerely, Jennifer Payne"
In the end of my journal from 2006 or so, I write: "I think I had the time of my life in ROTC. Roughing it, with a little camping on the rocks." Oh, dear. :) Glad I recorded what I did though. It's been fun remembering it now, six years later.

Anyway, it was thanks to my teachers; it was enjoyable and rather singular.


No comments: