Tuesday, June 4, 2013

One Week Home in Washington

Tuesday, May 28, arrived 11 am. Took a first look at my boxes downstairs, and relaxed with my parents as people came over to visit. Had a fantastic dinner of crab, trout and shrimp that Dad had caught. It was so good to be back! And how I loved holding my niece Jonna for the first time! How cute she is!

Wednesday, May 29, helped Mom with delivering fliers for their church outreach all afternoon... their weren't enough people, so Mom and I took care of the Everett School District nearly single-handedly with the help of my phone. Enjoyed a spaghetti dinner at home with Meg and Jason, then Bach at Leipzig at the Taproot Theater in north Seattle with just Mom and Dad. Continued on Highway 99 and I-5 to the airport afterwords to pick up Mike!



Thursday, May 30, was a partly cloudy day, but Mike and I decided that afternoon would be a good time to go take a ferry ride anyway. We did a round-trip route from Edmonds to Kingston, stopped for a fine snack at the Main Street Ale House, just as it began to rain. We returned to a fabulous dinner of chicken, corn-on-the-cob, and fried red potatoes that Mom and Dad prepared with the whole family.

Friday, May 31, Dad's idea of seeing the Museum of Flight at Boeing in Seattle was a good one! Not only was it free for all three of us because of my military status, but it was more interesting than ever. I had been once, many years ago, when I was only interested in the military. It has a broad spectrum of exhibits though, and I enjoyed them all, from the original Boeing Factory barn to Air Force One (Eisenhower to Nixon). That afternoon we went and looked at my brother's new apartment, and back at home monitored the next big tornado that hit Oklahoma... delaying a Washington Huskies softball game in the World Series tournament. That night Mom took us out to a Pizza Bank dinner with Andrea, Beckie and Micah.

Saturday, June 1, Mom, Andrea, Beckie and Micah, and Mike and I, all went to the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium (in Tacoma), enjoying the beautiful sun... and having to buy hats to shield our faces... we saw the whole place, loved the "Rocky Shores" exhibit best. I thought of this zoo on our last visit, chiefly because of the ferry to Vashon Island just next to the park, which none of us had ever ridden before. This also included a different ferry on the north side of the island back to West Seattle. It was a very long day, and we loved every minute, but we were so tired! We took Mom out to Chan's Place that evening before going over to spend a little time with Meg and Jonna.

Sunday, June 2, we took it easy, since we'd been doing a lot the last two days. We walked the dog twice, did separate things (played with the dog, did computer work, and I went through my boxes downstairs to pick out the things I wanted shipped to Virginia. Lots of people came over for lunch (soup and sandwiches), the Huskies won a softball game against Missouri, and then everyone had lots of strawberry shortcake. The Huskies ended up playing the Sooners in Oklahoma for the softball World Series tournament that night, but we couldn't watch it all as it started late, and there was a lovely evening to spend with Meg, Jason and Jonna. Met up at Spud Fish and Chips, then ate our take-out at Juanita Bay Park... and then walked the boardwalk and found a bald eagle up on a tall post, a couple beavers chewing on the lilies not far from us, a lone baby duck making its way along the shore, and several other ducks who came flying in. It was so perfect! That night we watched a film I had been interested in a while... a 2008 film about the occupied Netherlands... Winter in Wartime. I liked it.

Monday, June 3, we had plans to go to Seattle, but I just couldn't bear the thought of traipsing all over when all I wanted was to relax at home, walk the dog, rest, and finish up with my boxes. It was another beautiful day... and we enjoyed these simple things too. That evening we all headed for Issaquah for my brother's softball game (he's on his church's team).

Tuesday, June 4, we had another nice, slow morning, but we also had to pack ourselves up. We had to leave at 12:30, so at least we could enjoy the first half of the day at home. Mom and Dad drove us... and we got through check-in and security pretty fast. American let us check three bags for free (Military) and security let us skip the line (same reason). This gave us time to enjoy a perfect view of the Olympic Mountains out the great big glass window on the food court. We enjoyed Ivar's clam chowder and cod for our lunch before going to our gate. Also picked up a little present for our neighbors in Norman who were watching the animals. It was a fine trip back.

Jw

No comments: