Sunday, June 16, 2013

First Weekend of Our Summer

Well, it's all been one long weekend for a while now. :)

Thursday afternoon I got off early, and while Mike did some work, I finished up some unpacking and colored in a coloring book I brought from home. We had lasagna for dinner, which we had at the table while listening to some 1920's Radio Network on my laptop. Took the dog out for a little walk, and generally enjoyed ourselves. Managed to get the laundry done as well... I needed clean sheets for my duty day on-board ship the next day.

When I got off duty on Saturday morning, I came home and we had a great big breakfast... the nicest thing after a day-plus on the ship. Later on, we got on a very slow freeway to Newport News to check out the Virginia Living History Museum. Indoors it was mostly an aquarium, focused on the coast and rivers of Virginia... and the special exhibit upstairs was "Bodies", which I've wanted to see for a long time. It was kinda disturbing and a little disgusting... but fascinating too. Seeing models of organs and bodies is just not the same as the real thing. Although we were tired, we walked out on their boardwalk to what I thought was just an aviary... turned out to be a winding path around the little natural river of a small zoo... wolves, eagles, vultures, big cats, beavers, otters, etc. It was a very nice little walk, and unlike anything I've done before.

Then we sat through a bunch of traffic to get home to take care of the pets before going to the baseball game that night... that was also very crowded. Ended up being a 2-1 loss, but we did get to see some good plays, eat lots of good food, and see a spectacular fireworks show afterwords.

Today, we slept in, rested, had a good little breakfast, and I've been catching up online.

Jw

No comments: