Tuesday, December 6, 2011

At the Hospital

My friend Kristin from Bible study is in the middle of her master's program focusing on procedures for radiation oncology. She's developing (or supporting the development of) new ways to keep patient's heads still while they are being scanned for tumors. Previous methods (still used in some cases) involved drilling a form to the patient's head... another involved wearing this white thing...






and thankfully, the ones I tried out for her were much more comfortable than either of these! First I tried this one for 25 minutes (while listening to Johnny Cash)...








and then this for 25 minutes (while listening to Louie Armstrong)...










Another friend from church, Scott, did both, as well as Kristin herself. Her husband, Andy, pushed the buttons while she did it. So it took about three hours, but I was glad to help her out. Science projects always require lots of data, data, data. They picked me up at Carl's Jr. on Midway (I had a coupon for turkey burgers!) and then drove us all up to the hospital at UCSD in La Jolla.

This morning was very early... 5:30! Had hash browns like Mom used to make, 3 eggs, and later, toast on my way out the door as I was going to Quarters. And after that, I finished reading "War Horse". So I was wiped out by the time I got back home at night. I snuggled up in my bed under lots of covers, since the night was so cold.

Jp

No comments: