Sunday, June 26, 2011

More Fun With Family

Mom and Dad pulled into town right before 1100, when I told them I got off on Fridays. They had burned down I-5 in two days, stopping in Carlsbad, CA late on Thursday night... and got settled into the hotel by the time they called me.

I got off at 1105, like usual, but my working party had been selected to come back at 2pm to tear down the tables, chairs and signs for the change of command ceremony at bldg. 52. So I decided to go meet them while still in my working uniform... I didn't want to change three more times. And they liked seeing it. We exchanged stuff from our cars... I got my camping equipment in my very own Subaru that they drove down here, and they put all their stuff in their car. They'll drive to see Zac in Yuma today, then drive home to Seattle via several national parks. :)

We went out to lunch together at the eatery right next to the hotel. I then had to go get a base pass for my own car, and that took much less time that I figured, so I was able to spend another hour in their room with them before going back and doing my duty.

When I finally returned in civilian clothes, we headed out on a drive south over the bay bridge to Coronado, all the way down the Silver Strand to National City and the wetlands and beach just before the Mexican border. We saw Tijuana quite clearly from a distance. Stepped onto the beach in front of a border patrol guy with binoculars, looking out to sea for swimmers.

When we came back, we had dinner at the fish & chips place across from the Dolphin on the waterfront along Shelter Island... right where the fishing boats come in... so it was rather good fish & chips. Also had good clam chowder! We all would have liked to take in a good sunset, but the clouds had yet again returned over Point Loma. We went to Sunset Cliffs anyway, so I could show them the park and the expansive view of the ocean. Sat and talked a while, but soon it was sunset... and no break in the clouds.

Back at the Cabrillo Inn, sat down and switched on TCM. A movie was just starting... "Pretty Baby" from 1949. Didn't really know anyone in it, but Mom said the grumpy old guy played Santa Clause on Miracle on 34th Street... which was hilarious. It was very funny, along the lines of "Bachelor Mother". A young 22 yr old wanted a seat on the packed subway on her way to work, so she started using a doll wrapped up in a blanket. She worked for a baby food company, and matters got out of hand when unbeknownst to her, she started talking with her boss and claimed to have named her baby after him.

Saturday we slept in til 9ish, had breakfast at Denny's, stopped by the NEX for discounted tickets for the harbor cruise. Parked at the USS Midway museum downtown, got there around 12:30. Had to wait around for a bit, but we were able to take a tour of two Japanese destroyers on a world cruise before we boarded the tour boat for our hour tour to the north of the bay by my base, the sub base, the Coronado air station, and the sea lions. I was disappointed they only let us walk around on the decks of the destroyers... I sure would have loved to see the berthing or the sonar room. :) After the cruise, we drove to Red Lobster for a nice dinner together. And back at the hotel there were more fun movies on TCM, featuring Jane Greer. The end of "Out of the Past", and all of "The Big Steal", "The Company She Keeps" and "Station West". So much fun!

This morning we packed up, got stuck in a little bit of traffic on Rosecrans (there was a bike race going up and down Canon Street), but finally made it to Perry's Breakfast House for some great food. We drove both the cars though, as they were heading out to spend some time with Zac for the rest of today and tomorrow, and I was heading off for church.

Tonight, Barrett and I are having Italian for dinner and seeing "Much Ado About Nothing" at the Globe. Should continue to be fun, but I already miss Mom and Dad again. I hope coming home in August works. :)

Jp

No comments: