Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Fine Weekend Back to Normal

Well, the last two have been off the charts, visiting home for the first time since Christmas, and then having my Darling visit me for over 4 days!

Friday I had completely off from work (since I stayed later the day before)... I think I had breakfast at the galley before a couple of us were let off at 7:15. I had the sudden urge to get out of town... but there was the last Bible study group meeting, so I had a regular day (mostly). Volunteered at the library for just over an hour, got a burrito to go, picked up Matthew Ferry from base (he texted about hanging out) and then headed off to the Fashion Valley mall where we saw Pirates 4. Unfortunately, we got there just in time for all of the trailers. I was on the verge of stabbing my eyes when I had to endure "Mr. Popper's Penguins" and a few others. At least it does make me want to read the book again. I always imagined somebody like David Niven as Mr. Popper, so Jim Carrey sort of revolts the senses.

I enjoyed Pirates on the whole. It was very swashbuckling, and had good amounts of laughs and love interests to go around. Gone was the teenager-ish romance of Kira and Orlando, and that improved it right off the bat. It was mostly Johnny Depp and Geoffry Rush, which are quite fun to watch. And I recognized the HMS Surprise right away from downtown the other day... :)

Saturday I also worked at the library (after a snack for breakfast in my room), and right around when that closed (2pm) I drove down Point Loma to the Cabrillo National Monument, enjoying the 19th century lighthouse up on the highest point (and the museum in the house), the tiny Army battery museum with neat pictures and displays about protecting the vital harbor during the 40's. Not only these, but I walked along the cliff overlooking the vast Pacific, taking in the beautiful sunshine, the few clouds, the perfect breeze, the drifting pelicans tracing the coastline... and I thought I'd sit and soak it up. The cliff wasn't at all scary because it was just the rigid top of a gentle slope down to the roads below. I watched the people walking along the water's edge and the motorcycles going much too fast, but having a swell ride, I'm sure. It was lovely.

Along with all of this I had time to sit in on two 25 minute films at the visitor center. One on the grey whales that migrate along the coast, and the other about the Spanish explorer Cabrillo who first stepped ashore (Sep. 28, 1542) in San Diego, which he had named San Miguel. Also looked around the gift shop and found a neat t-shirt (that I'm wearing right now...) and a few other things, including a neat painting of the lighthouse in a style that reminded me of the 40's.

And I got back in time to watch a movie and have a very fun chat... with a visit from Daniel even!

Sunday was a comedy of errors (that turned out rather well!). I started off looking for a church in Chula Vista that I wanted to try out... and I didn't find it! There was no sign that I could see. But on the way I found a Target that I had wanted to stop at and a Denny's for breakfast. They say they have free wi-fi, but my computer didn't like it and wouldn't connect.

Back on base I tried getting a hold of my friend Julie (she wanted to catch up this weekend), but didn't quite make it. Decided to go back to Cabrillo, because the day before I had forgotten my camera. But when I headed out first thing, I forgot the pass for free re-entry. That's why I had stopped in on base. Had to wind my way up the hill though, because part of Rosecrans was closed down for a parade. And there ended up being no cell reception at the park... so I did drive around on the roads, but just left after that. Ended up at the library and DID get to talk to Julie for an hour and a half! That was wonderful, as it always is. We can understand and encourage each other so easily. She's finished school for becoming a grade-school teacher and has found a job in Florida, starting this August.

Since I was at the library... :) Yes, a little more. I enjoy it so much! After the library, I took myself straight down to the Old Town transit center for a ride downtown for dinner. My heart was set on the Old Spaghetti Factory, and it worked just fine! The trolley was there when I got my ticket... but they were out of the ravioli dish I loved last time... so I tried the crab ravioli in pesto alfredo sauce. Wow! That worked out for the best, I think. :)

I was able to get back to the car to drive to Balboa Park and arrive just as they opened the doors for "Amadeus". They had this promotion for $20/under 30 yrs old, where they threw in this and both of the Shakespeare plays (Tempest and Much Ado) for a total of $40. Good deal! So this was the first. I remember seeing the movie when I was a kid and being very bored. Now I understand what was going on. :) It was an odd idea for a play, to base it all off a rumor. Interesting, and I loved how they played Mozart's music when Salieri simply read his scores.

It was a late night, but I didn't mind. :)

Jp

No comments: