Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hiking La Jolla (...la hoy-a... "the jewel")

As on Easter, I went on this month's "Scenic Sundays" with the Navy's MWR program. Today it was a short, easy hike up and around the Torrey Pines State Park... a cliff overlooking the Pacific, just north of La Jolla. It didn't take us long to get there, as La Jolla is only about 10 miles north of San Diego.

We left the Red Deck around 9:30, arrived around 10ish. Found free parking, walked along the beach to the Park, and all the way up the road to the top of the cliffs. We went on the overlook trail, then down a zig-zaging one to the beach. The trails were smooth ground, and incredibly easy to walk. There were lots of flowers and all sorts of interesting plants as we finished the 1/2 mile hike down to the sand. It was a cloudy day, but I loved it; makes it feel like home. The water wasn't too cold, as we jumped over to a giant piece of sandstone or limestone jutting out from the beach. On top of it were little tide pools with anemones and crabs... I loved it!

We walked back to the van along the beach... I really liked getting to know my classmate's girlfriend. She's from upper New York, and is very interested in photography, marine biology and the like. We had a good time.

After this, we packed into the van and drove to downtown La Jolla for a late lunch at a gourmet burger place. Had a turkey burger and the tastiest onion rings ever. Didn't even need ketchup! And then five of our group of nine headed off to the shore to look at the sea lions. We did this for quite a while, and I was able to lead them there, as I had visited with Meg back in 2010. There was lots of barking, and many more pelicans flying overhead (there had been lots of them at Torrey Pines). And then four of us went down into the sea cave that I had wanted to last time (it had been closed then), and it was pretty neat.

Headed back to base after that, and I immediately fell asleep on my bed... and waking up an hour and a half later at 6:30, wondering if it was Monday morning yet. :)

Just spent some real Sunday time, praying and listening to some Chris Rice hymns. Ready for the week, Lord. I love you; help me to study and excel just for you.

Jp

No comments: